PDA

View Full Version : Side Lit Spoonie

Randy Stout
04-16-2011, 06:03 PM
I had the pleasure of going out with Capt. James on the Hooptie Deux in Tampa Bay several weeks ago. James had us in the right spot, at the right time. Lots of spoonie action. In this image, I wanted to go for a more dramatic, side lit style, to play up their great eyes, and to show the texture in the plumage a bit more.

D300 600VR 1.4 TC f/5.6 1/1000s Wimberley/Gitzo

Post: Selective sharpening, softened the shadows on back and side, 25% crop for comp.

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Troy Lim
04-16-2011, 09:41 PM
I don't mind the side lighting, love the low angle and killer BG.
It looks like the HA is a bit off, still like it. TFS.

Tony Whitehead
04-17-2011, 04:27 AM
Lighting has worked well to showcase the eye and plumage texture, Randy. I might be tempted to trim some of the ruffled foreground water but appreciate you need some room for the virtual legs. Love that BG.

Gary Esman
04-17-2011, 05:26 AM
Hi Randy, the side lighting works well here. The shaded areas are light enough to show good detail and the white areas with the cross lighting give a good 3D effect. Like the tail feathers sticking up and the eye. Looks as if he is just kicking back and soaking up the sun.

Gary.

Randy Stout
04-17-2011, 09:01 AM
Lighting has worked well to showcase the eye and plumage texture, Randy. I might be tempted to trim some of the ruffled foreground water but appreciate you need some room for the virtual legs. Love that BG.

Tony: I am not in love with the foreground either! I toned down the reflections compared with the original, and tried a tighter crop from below, but then his 'feet' looked a bid crowded.

Might try a version with a little tweaking of the color in the foreground to help it blend in a bit.

I did really like the BG here as well, not so common for spoonie shots, usually mangroves, very dark from shadows in the mangroves, or open water.

Thanks for the input, good to see you popping in!

Cheers

Randy

Alan Murphy
04-17-2011, 10:37 AM
Sweet low angle and I like the soft side light. It looks likeit needs .5 CCW rotation to me and i would consider brightening the dark area to the right.

Dave Leroy
04-17-2011, 10:54 AM
Lovely job on the side lighting and low angle.
Colours turned out great.

I agree it is a tough choice on the fg and what to do for the feet.

I am with Troy on the ha.

Seems to be a pretty tough crowd for a lovely photo and an excellent idea.

Dave

Stu Bowie
04-17-2011, 01:32 PM
Randy, good low perspective, and I really like the light in this, especially cast on the head and eye. Good to see the water reflection on the plumage, and would leave the comp as is. Im sure you plenty more from that trip to share with us.:w3

Pieter de Waal
04-17-2011, 03:18 PM
Hi Randy lovely image, the eye and feather detail shows up well as per your objective , great use of the light conditions. As mentioned above, love the BG.