PDA

View Full Version : Hummingbirds in Costa Rica or someplace similar

Matt Shetzer
04-15-2011, 12:44 PM
I'm starting to plan a trip down south from Jan 15- to Feb 15 for next year with the purpose of photographing many species of hummingbirds.

I'd love to hear some recommendations of areas where people have photographed in the past. I'm looking for one or two places that I can set up and photograph these fascinating birds with ease and safely.

Thanks in Advance.
Matt Shetzer

Norm Dulak
04-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Matt:

The only place where I photographed hummingbirds in Costa Rica was at the Savegre Mountain Hotel. It maintains gardens that attract about four species of hummers.

In Panama, the grounds of Canopy Lodge attract mainly White-vented Plumeleteers and Rufous-tailed hummingbirds, which are pretty spectacular.

If you instead go to Ecuador, I recommend the Tandayapa Bird Lodge, which has feeders that attract a wide variety of hummingbirds. It's easily accessed by a reasonable drive from Quito. The hummingbirds there are really spectacular. And there are many different species at Tandayapa. Based upon my limited experience, that might be your best bet.

Norm

Peter Hawrylyshyn
04-22-2011, 06:38 AM
Matt
Hopefully Greg Basco will see this thread and give you some suggestions

I'd suugest Rancho Naturalista, Bosque de Paz and Savegre in CR. Greg can set up a tour for you ,or use a company called Costa Rica Gateways. Driving in CR is fairly safe except for finding your way thru San Jose. There are no lodges with HB feeders on NW Pacific coastal areas

In Panama, the Canapy Tower is better for HB's if you go to thei Discovery Centre along the Pipeline Road

There are also a few good sites in Trinidad and Tobago which would be nice at time of year where you'd see 10-12 species

But overall, you can't beat northern Ecuador for variety and number of species of HB's. You can easily see 50-60 species in a few weeks. It is also cheaper than CR. Lots of excellent lodges and guides: Tandayapa, Mindo Loma, Guango, Sumaco to name a few

Norm Dulak
04-22-2011, 11:04 AM
I'm glad that Peter has also suggested Tandayapa in Ecuador. The people there treated Linda and me like royalty. And the variety and numbers of hummingbirds there is truly amazing.

At one point a hummingbird became stunned, possibly after flying into one of the windows of the lodge. But one of the guides picked up the bird and warmed it in his hand, until it fully recovered and flew off. Also, a guide provided a flower for us and sprayed it with sugar water. Wonderful photography for us resulted.

The people at Tandayapa are nice, and the hummingbirds are numerous and wonderful!

Norm

Norm Dulak
04-22-2011, 11:23 AM
Matt:

As an example of what you might see at Tandayapa, I've attached an image of a Western Emerald hummingbird Linda and I saw there.

I haven't done much to adjust this image, but I think the bird speaks for itself!

Norm

Matt Shetzer
04-24-2011, 06:48 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions for the hummers. Great pic Norm !!!

Looks like Ecuador might be a better venue.

Matt