PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Bridge CS3 Vista problem

Andrew George
03-24-2008, 01:52 PM
Hi all,

All of a sudden Adobe Bridge won't work anymore in CS3.
Windows Vista tells me..

"Adobe Bridge has stopped working. A problem caused
the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program ans notify
you if a solution is avaible."

I say thanks to Bill! I did try to reinstall CS3 and the latest update of Bridge..not
the solution.

Anyone with a solution???

Gr., Andrew

Robert O'Toole
03-24-2008, 02:30 PM
Sorry to hear about that.

If you start bridge with the Ctrl+Alt keys down it will load as default so if it is just a setting, the program will start this way.

Robert

Andrew George
03-24-2008, 02:33 PM
Thanks Robert, but it didn't help :(

Art Peslak
03-24-2008, 02:55 PM
Is this a new installation? When I bought my new computer several months ago, Bridge would not work at all. After many hours on the phone with Dell and Adobe and many uninstalls and reinstalls, I finally gave up.

One thing you may want to try is uninstalling all Adobe applications, running a registry cleaner and then reinstalling. That seemed to be the one thing both Adobe and Dell kept telling me to. Good luck.

Jack Faller
03-24-2008, 03:23 PM
For the most part I have had good luck with Vista and Bridge with CS3. Two months ago, Bridge forgot how to find keywords and
I had to uninstall & reinstall. This fixed the problem, but it still remembered some of my earlier default settings. This should have been lost if it really erased everything to do with CS3. Probably you will have to
reinstall CS3, but be sure you really have uninstalled everything. For example under your directory, look in AppData/Local/Adobe and/or C:Program Files/Adobe and see what is left. There are probably other places where things are hidden.

Robert O'Toole
03-24-2008, 03:23 PM
From what I am told, "____ has stopped working" is a vista problem it looks like and not a problem with bridge.

Maybe that might get you going in the right direction I hope.

The problem Art mentioned was a big problem Adobe had with the Beta CS3 installs, you had to run to uninstall scripts to really uninstall the Betas to get the final CS3 to install properly.

Robert

Art Peslak
03-24-2008, 03:43 PM
From what I am told, "____ has stopped working" is a vista problem it looks like and not a problem with bridge.

Maybe that might get you going in the right direction I hope.

The problem Art mentioned was a big problem Adobe had with the Beta CS3 installs, you had to run to uninstall scripts to really uninstall the Betas to get the final CS3 to install properly.

Robert
robert,
this was not with the CS3 beta but with the actual CS3 version from the CD's. Its still a problem with Bridge. Adobe has a long list of things to try on their website to cure the problem.

Mike Tracy
03-24-2008, 04:19 PM
Brand new laptop here with Vista. New install of CS3. Could not open ACR in bridge. Downloaded updates from Adobe this morning and it fixed my problem. I know it's not exactly what you are experiencing but it helped me.

David Kennedy
03-24-2008, 04:26 PM
...Could not open ACR in bridge. Downloaded updates from Adobe this morning and it fixed my problem. I know it's not exactly what you are experiencing but it helped me.

Ahh, now that sounds like the problem with which I am most familiar. And I'm glad for you that a reinstall did the trick. I had a thread about that going here: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2911

Andrew, the CS3 clean-up script might be your best bet (http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs3clean.html). Although I'll admit, I gave up on using Bridge CS3 on my laptop (XP Pro) and my desktop (Vista Business 32bit) and use Lightroom for all organization and conversion. I think Bridge CS2 was, on the whole, a solid program, and then Adobe "broke" it with CS3. Go figure.

Thomas Chamberlin
03-24-2008, 04:48 PM
I had somewhat the same problem. I believe in the end mine was a software incompatability problem, probably with my Maxtor software. I did a clean reinstall of Windows and added my other sotware one at a time and the Maxtor software caused crashes again. For some reason it usually happened while Bridge was open. Not exactly the same problem you are having but that dialog box looks WAY too familiar, but mine would come on any old time while using Bridge - usually after about an hour or two. I could then close and restart Bridge and go for aother hour or two. I now run the Maxtor hard drive without the factory backup software and it works fine. You might try looking at your other programs to find VISTA incompatabilities. They are nailing a lot of people, and it seems to be Bridge that doesn't want to work when another program is incompatible for some reason. My Nikon scanner wouldn't run correctly until they finally updated it last month!

Robert O'Toole
03-24-2008, 07:24 PM
robert,
this was not with the CS3 beta but with the actual CS3 version from the CD's. Its still a problem with Bridge. Adobe has a long list of things to try on their website to cure the problem.

Oh :eek:

Guess I am lucky, knock on wood, I have CS3 on XP and Vista and no problems...so far.

Maybe if you can post the adobe link, if you still have it, woudl help the OP.

Thanks,

Robert

Andrew George
03-25-2008, 01:44 AM
Thanks all! I will try some of the tips. It's not a new installation and I didn't change much, but all of a sudden Brigde wouldn't work anymore. I did install Quicktime and uninstalled it already, but stil no result...I will try the registry cleaner.

Art Peslak
03-25-2008, 06:18 AM
This is the link to the adobe web page with some suggested solutions:

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=326205&sliceId=1

Andrew George
03-25-2008, 02:12 PM
Thanks again!

Finally I chose to do a system restore in Vista. This helped to recover the Bridge application in CS3, hopefully for a long period!

Rene A
03-27-2008, 05:19 PM
After a clean OS install I use
Acronis<sup>®</sup> True Image Echo<sup>™</sup> Workstation
(http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/ATICW/)

to make a complete backup of my "C" drive

after I install some new programs & update Acronis incremental weekly
so that I always have a good running "C" in case one program goes bad like CS3 or what ever.

If one of the programs gives me "errors" I call up Acronis and restore the last backup.

It's a must for every pc.

I use Acronis for XP & Vista Ultimate 64

Renate

E.J. Peiker
03-29-2008, 03:59 PM
Its not Ctrl Alt to clean up Adobe problems, it's Ctrl Alt Shift while launch the application. Reinstall is rarely needed. This clears up 99% of Adobe program issues. For some reason Adobe programs are very prone to preference file corruption, this clears that up.

BTW, a reinstall won't clear up problems like this as a reinstall does not kill the corrupt preferences file.

Axel Hildebrandt
03-29-2008, 04:09 PM
Its not Ctrl Alt to clean up Adobe problems, it's Ctrl Alt Shift while launch the application. Reinstall is rarely needed. This clears up 99% of Adobe program issues. For some reason Adobe programs are very prone to preference file corruption, this clears that up.

BTW, a reinstall won't clear up problems like this as a reinstall does not kill the corrupt preferences file.

Thanks, E.J. That is very useful information!

Robert O'Toole
03-29-2008, 07:31 PM
Its not Ctrl Alt to clean up Adobe problems, it's Ctrl Alt Shift while launch the application. Reinstall is rarely needed.

Actually these are the proper instructions to load reset preferences, purge the central cache, and reset the default workspace for Bridge (neither of us were exactly clear with our instructions);

Hold down Ctrl

Hold down Ctrl+Alt

or hold down Control+Alt+Shift

immediately after you start Adobe Bridge to reset the preferences, purge the central cache and reset the default workspace, you will actually be prompted with these choices.
The reason for this is that corrupt or damaged preferences or workspaces can cause hanging, crashing or strange behavior in Adobe Bridge.
Note: Also you can hold down Ctrl before you start Bridge for the same effect.

Robert

Johnny Bravo
03-30-2008, 11:41 PM
. I think Bridge CS2 was, on the whole, a solid program, and then Adobe "broke" it with CS3. Go figure.

Nah, CS3 is 'the bomb'. 2 did a horrible job with color when it converted raw files--it made Ferrari's and Vermilion Flycatchers bright red and they lost the orange tone that lives in both of them when in their God Given colors.

David Kennedy
03-31-2008, 01:00 AM
Nah, CS3 is 'the bomb'. 2 did a horrible job with color when it converted raw files--it made Ferrari's and Vermilion Flycatchers bright red and they lost the orange tone that lives in both of them when in their God Given colors.

Johnny,
Don't confuse Camera RAW's interpretation of files with the basic functionality of the program that hosts it. Bridge CS3 is unstable. Camera RAW 4.3.1 is amazing--they are different ;)

Robert Amoruso
03-31-2008, 09:28 AM
Johnny,

The versions of ACR (3.x) that were around during CS2 were prone to convert some colors pretty screwy looking which is why I stop using it and went back to Breeze Browser Pro. With the current versions (4.x) behavior is much improved and I do more of my conversions now with ACR.