PDA

View Full Version : African Photographic Safaris

Dick Collins
04-14-2011, 08:06 PM
I'd like to take a South African photo trip next year and have thinking about going with a company called African Photographic Safaris led by Stu Porter. Has anybody used this company? I'd love to hear some comments. Thanks.

Dick Collins

Tom Graham
04-16-2011, 01:08 AM
FWIW, there is here BPN recently another thread about safari photo tours.

My short answer, no, I've not heard of Stu Porter.

First, my general perspective on flying to Africa, I'm from USA (CA) and would not make those two-three very long flights, each way, to/from Africa for only 9 or so days there. (My last trip to Tanzania I spent 32 hours non-stop form my house to first hotel in Tanzania). I stay preferably three weeks.

I love (the country) South Africa for photo safari. Been there six times since 2005. So I had to look up Stu Porter to see what he offers. Were you looking at his "Lions and Leopards of MalaMala"? I've been to MalaMala three times and it is a great camp with great guides/rangers. Check out their web site.- http://www.malamala.com/ . The "Private Big Cat Reserve" he starts at, I'm not familiar with.

Which brings me around to his tour cost of $6,850 not including international air (about $2k from USA west coast). $6,850 for 9 nights, 5 of which are on safari, at MalaMala. Check MalaMala's rates for 2011 - http://www.malamala.com/reservation.htm . $625 per person per night (pppn).

Here's what I'd do. I'd fly into Johannesburg (JNB), rent a car from Avis and drive over to Kruger National Park, 6 hour drive. Stay in Kruger 4-5 days and drive around, easy to do, fun. Cost for car, Kruger Huts, gas, meals for one-two people about $1,000. I'd then go to MalaMala for 6 nights, $3,200 total. But first, before MalaMala, I'd go to Kings Camp - http://kingscamp.com/ - in the neighboring Timbavati reserve for five nights, cost $2,400. Total now for the three safari camps is - $1,000, $3,200, $2,400 is $6,600 for 15 nights on safari.

Or, check out Andy Biggs photo safaris - http://www.andybiggs.com/content.php?page=2011-07-Toit

Tom

Rob Porter
04-16-2011, 06:38 AM
I'd like to take a South African photo trip next year and have thinking about going with a company called African Photographic Safaris led by Stu Porter. Has anybody used this company? I'd love to hear some comments. Thanks.

Dick Collins

Hi Dick

This is my first post here and as I know Stu from when I was a participant on one of his Kruger trips in 2009 I thought I would add my 2 cents worth (although no relation).

Since the trip with Stu, my wife and I have recently returned from another self drive camping trip to Zim, Botswana and Kruger. It was our 7th trip to Kruger and we spent three weeks in the park top to bottom (and that was not enough). Kruger is huge but during the dry season the bottom half of the park is very busy, you may wish to keep this in mind?

Stu has by far one of if not the best vehicles for safari in Southern Africa. He uses a vehicle which only takes three photographers, everyone has an entire row which also has a dust proof padded box capable of holding the longest lenses plus all your gear. Each side of the vehicle has an adjustable platform which takes either a huge bean bag or one of his Wimberley heads. He also has available 500mm f4s plus a whole bunch of other stuff for use on some of the trips.

Stu is a true local in the area around Kruger National Park and knows the park like the back of his hand. Stu along with his family run a great trip in which he will impart new skills and techniques to all levels. By the end of the trip you will feel like part of the family.

Although we usually self drive and camp on our African adventures I can not rate Stu highly enough if you want to improve your photography skills and have a great time.

Dick Collins
04-17-2011, 02:21 PM
Thanks. Both replies were interesting. I thought about driving and doing my own trip but I'm leaning toward a package safari and then coming back on my own or extending the trip. Thank you for your input.

Dick Collins

LouBuonomo
04-18-2011, 01:54 PM
I'm headed to Botswana with Andy in July, he is a great guy and this tours are top notch !
Lou