PDA

View Full Version : The drop

OvidiuCavasdan
04-14-2011, 03:11 PM
40D, EF 100mm macro
F/29
1/4 sec
ISO 200
Manual mode, tripod, natural light and collapsable reflector, full frame.
It was rainy weather lately and today I played around with water drops and tulip leaves.

Mitch Haimov
04-14-2011, 08:14 PM
I like this one, Ovidiu. Nice lines and strong texture--I'm not seeing halos around the leaf edges, so my assumption is that the intense textures are not the result of over-sharpening. Looks like I should be able to feel the texture on my monitor! The only thing I don't care for about the composition is the way the middle leaf is cut off at the bottom--being so close to the tip makes me want to see it. Cropping a bit from the bottom would fix that, but would throw the rest of your composition off. Do you happen to have another image including the tip that you can combine with this one to make a vertical stitched panorama?

Brendan Dozier
04-14-2011, 10:00 PM
Wow! This is really a wonderfull comp, Ovidiu - very nice soft light, love the extremely fine detail & texture, the subtle shading, drop is perfect. Agree with Mitch, in a perfect world it would be nice to see the other tip, but very nicely done. :S3:

OvidiuCavasdan
04-14-2011, 11:02 PM
That's the question! With or without the second leaf tip?:bg3: Well...I shot also some with both leaf tips in the frame, but different composition, so maybe another thread (if it's not too much). Thanks!

Ken Childs
04-15-2011, 06:45 AM
Hi Ovidiu, the textures on this are quite interesting, especially the area magnified by the drop. The squarish reflection in the drop is a bit distracting but it's not a deal breaker. As has already been mentioned, the main problem is the clipped leaf tip at the bottom.

I'm looking forward to your other version of this subject. :S3:

OvidiuCavasdan
04-15-2011, 01:17 PM
Thanks for comments.
About the second leaf...I used it for filling (with the two edges) the space under the first leaf. Without it it looked to me that it is too much "negative" space. For me it was enough just to resemble the first one and not duplicate it. A second leaf tip in the image might be distracting from the water drop.

More space between the two edges at bottom sholud be better but to me it does not look "critically clipped". It gives a way out from the frame and a combination of light/dark colors/tones with a wider light tones area and narrower dark tones on left and wider light tones area and narrower dark tones on right side.

As said before, I will post the second image and hope to talk some more about this because I find the discussion very interesting.:w3

Anita Bower
04-19-2011, 03:18 PM
Very nice! The strong graphic design is most pleasing. The green monocolor is also effective. Lovely placement of everything and nice textures. This image works for me. Not having that second leaf-tip adds tension. I look forward to seeing other versions.