PDA

View Full Version : Northern Jacana lift-off

Bill Dix
04-14-2011, 12:39 PM
From Costa Rica, last month. C&C appreciated.

D7000 | 80-400 VR @ 400mm | ISO 800 | 1/4000s @ f/5.6 | -0.7 EV | HH from boat

Munish Kaushik
04-14-2011, 12:49 PM
what a beautiful take off shot.

Regards,
Munish Kaushik
www.facebook.com/Kaushik.Munish

Mike Milicia
04-14-2011, 12:56 PM
Cool bird and fantastic takeoff pose with excellent detail! Congrats!

A bit tight on the left for me.
With this pose, it might work well to give it a bit more room on the left and a bit less on the right allowing the bird to come
close to the diagonal of the frame.

Ofer Levy
04-14-2011, 02:59 PM
Fantastic image!

Daniel Cadieux
04-14-2011, 06:09 PM
Very cool. You got it at the peak of the action. Great IQ, and I don't mind the comp as is. The two bright rocks near the legs grab my attention more than I would prefer, but all else looks great.

With high-ish ISO and SS I'm wondering if you were setup for such action?

Dumay de Boulle
04-15-2011, 08:33 AM
Nice IQ and take off shot...Subject looks nice and evenly lit...nicely done Bill

Bill Dix
04-15-2011, 08:43 AM
Thank you all for the comments. Much appreciated.

Mike, I agree that a tad more space on the left would work. This was cropped from landscape, so I have a little more room. I didn't want to put the bird in the middle of the frame, and wanted to leave some space to his right, but I think I cut it a little too tight. (Also, forgot to mention that I slightly clipped a wing-tip and had to resort to minor repair.)

Daniel, I can't say that I was anticipating the take-off. As we were cruising in the boat, many of the backgrounds were darker and more heavily vegetated, so in this case with the bright gravel it just turned out to be 1/4000. Probably a lucky thing. The camera seems to handle 800 pretty well. I did tone down a few bright spots, and should have done the same with the two you mention.