PDA

View Full Version : Predaceous Diving Beetle

Steve Maxson
04-13-2011, 05:01 PM
I photographed this Predaceous Diving Beetle (family Dytiscidae) in my 2-gallon aquarium setup last summer. This is one of the smaller species - about 15 mm long - and it is breathing at the water surface. By shooting slightly upward, you can include the reflection. 40D, 100 mm macro, 1/250, f/16, ISO 100, MT-24EX macro twin lite (diffused), tripod, cable release. RAW file PP in CS5 - curves, vibrance. I cleaned up a number of tiny specs in the water and darkened the brightest areas of the background. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Mitch Haimov
04-13-2011, 08:25 PM
Nailed it again, Steve! Beautiful detail, color, and composition. Love the glow coming off your subject. I also find the plants and BG in this image more pleasing than those in "The Hunter." Excellent work.

Brendan Dozier
04-13-2011, 09:52 PM
I second that, Steve! The aquarium enviornment & light are really awesome, and the images are refreshingly unique and interesting. Wonderful detail, it almost looks like a fine natural history illustration.

bhavya joshi
04-14-2011, 03:02 AM
Yes..Steve..This is great image,
nice details, color on mysterious bug, nice setup also, look like natural.
I like this one, more than earlier. :S3:

Andrew McLachlan
04-14-2011, 09:20 PM
Flawless Steve! :cheers:

Ken Childs
04-15-2011, 06:31 AM
Steve, this is another beauty shot! Light, comp, colors, DOF are all spot on. I really like how the bug is framed by the plants

You did well with your aquarium setup. Is your tank glass or acrylic?

Steve Maxson
04-15-2011, 10:57 AM
Steve, this is another beauty shot! Light, comp, colors, DOF are all spot on. I really like how the bug is framed by the plants

You did well with your aquarium setup. Is your tank glass or acrylic?

Thanks for the comments folks.

Ken - The aquarium is a standard glass style. The small size works well for this type of photography. I also put in a lengthwise translucent, plastic divider, that I cut out of a plastic storage container, which keeps all the critters within 3 inches of the front glass.

Roman Kurywczak
04-16-2011, 12:58 PM
Just freakin' awesome! One of your best IMO! Vegetation just puts it over the top!