PDA

View Full Version : Crowded Perch

Morkel Erasmus
04-13-2011, 10:40 AM
This willow tree on a small island in the middle of our local duck pond is a popular roosting/nesting spot for hundreds of birds of various species. Some of the more "user-friendly" branches can get quite crowded.

Here some sacred ibis chased a cattle egret off into the sunset.

Your thoughts most welcome...I just liked the overall mood here. In hindsight I should've underexposed even more (as already at -3) by going to manual mode and lowering ISO.

Techs:
Canon 7D with 300mm f2.8 L IS USM + 2xTC-III
f7.1 @ 1/8000 SS @ ISO-800

Dave Leroy
04-13-2011, 10:47 AM
Camera and lens combo seem to be all right.

I agree with your assessment. Smaller aperture/ less ISO and if mine I would then have darkened everything up.

Lovely idea.

Dave

Morkel Erasmus
04-13-2011, 10:59 AM
thanks Dave

I tried it darker at first, but darkening left some funny-looking transitions from the reds to yellows to orange so I left it right at the edge of where it didn't look natural to me anymore

Marc Mol
04-14-2011, 04:20 AM
I like your thinking and composition here Morkel, self critique acknowledged. The overall colours are quite appealing.
TFS

Mark Dumbleton
04-14-2011, 05:11 AM
I like the idea, but the image is too bright in the middle for me. As you said, a quicker exposure would have been better.

Randy Stout
04-14-2011, 07:17 AM
Morkel:

Interesting concept, but agree with the exposure assessment.
I have also experienced the border funkiness while trying to handle images with a very bright highlight such as this, and would probably have shot three different exposures at least here in manual to try and get the optimum balance of light.

Hope you can hit it again!

Cheers

Randy