PDA

View Full Version : Choice of Dry bag for photography equipment

Don Hamilton Jr.
04-13-2011, 06:28 AM
Good Morning gang, been consumed with a home renovation, so i haven't been posting much. Just bought two kayaks too use for photography everglades stuff, was wondering who you endorse for the safest dry bags... thks for any intell you have to share.. cheers..don

Mark Farnan
04-13-2011, 08:02 AM
Good Morning gang, been consumed with a home renovation, so i haven't been posting much. Just bought two kayaks too use for photography everglades stuff, was wondering who you endorse for the safest dry bags... thks for any intell you have to share.. cheers..don

Lowepro Dryzone are pretty good. I've used them once and it seemed fine (though I didn't throw it in the water !). Only issue is they are a bit small for gear.

At sea we use Pelican cases, but don't think they suit what your after for a kayak.

I'd suggest also looking at a standard camera bag, and putting inside a DrySack/Boat bag while in the kayak. Depends on if you want to shoot from the kayak or not really.

Regards

Mark.

Jason Kinsey
04-13-2011, 09:54 AM
Don, I've used a roll-top dry bag from Cabela's for years (and for just about anything you can name) and have never had any issues with it. You could put a camera bag inside of it like Mark suggested. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camping/Luggage-Travel/Gear-Duffel-Bags|/pc/104795280/c/104744880/sc/104356080/Cabelas-Boundary-Waters8482-II-Roll-Top-Dry-Bags/735040.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FN %3D1100755%26WTz_l%3DSBC%253BBRprd735040&WTz_l=SBC%3BBRprd735040%3Bcat104356080 (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camping/Luggage-Travel/Gear-Duffel-Bags%7C/pc/104795280/c/104744880/sc/104356080/Cabelas-Boundary-Waters8482-II-Roll-Top-Dry-Bags/735040.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FN %3D1100755%26WTz_l%3DSBC%253BBRprd735040&WTz_l=SBC%3BBRprd735040%3Bcat104356080) If you are shooting out of the kayak, something like this may be a good choice for quick access to gear. And it would be one less camera bag to swap gear in and out of too.

If we are paddling a ways, or I can't (or don't plan to) shoot out of a canoe or kayak I keep my gear in a Pelican case. Depending on how you load the Pelican, it will likely float too (and the O-ring keeps water out). I've got a 1600 series that will float loaded with my gear. Best of luck.

Steve Wasson
04-17-2011, 01:22 PM
I started using a Sea Line Kodiak deck back last year on both a WS Tsunami 14' and a CD Andromeda 18'. I've had good luck with it so far! I took out the plastic "support" and placed a 1/2" foam liner around the whole inside. In addition to padding, it blocks most of the clear window so the bag doesn't get so hot inside! The the foam is stiff enough to shape the bag. My 7D + 70-200 f/4L +1.4TC fit with hood on fits fine. With my Sigma 150-500, doesn't fit with hood on. So I've got to remove lens cap, and usually place the hood before shooting...
I previously used roll-top dry bags in the cockpit. I found it took too long to get the camera out and ready to shoot!

Bob Decker
04-17-2011, 07:35 PM
I've been using a roll-top style from NRS for the last year +. No problems from splashes, sprayse, etc. in the boat and survived one capsize during a tricky launch.

Steve Uffman
04-18-2011, 12:04 PM
I am looking for a water proof hard case that will carry two lens bodies, a 500 f/4 and etc....Have a pelican case that is 30 years old and it still works but not big enough.....any recommendations? Have not had much success with the photography Internet dealers getting back with me on models that are deep enough to handle a 500 f/4 with hood...need to have in place by end of next week as we have a long wade through Louisiana cypress marsh to get to the rookery and will be dragging a pirogue behind us carrying our equipment

John McNamara
04-20-2011, 07:15 PM
I was using a Sea-to-Summit drybag for kayaking. Something (probably a little DEET) got on the inside and dissolved the white lining. Had white gunk on my 40D and 100-400. Was able to clean it up and no damage to the lens or camera. Called the manufacturer and they were NO help. I'm going to try a SeaLine bag next, maybe a NRS drybag. Also have to get some silica gel packs...

Jason Kinsey
04-21-2011, 08:00 AM
I am looking for a water proof hard case that will carry two lens bodies, a 500 f/4 and etc....Have a pelican case that is 30 years old and it still works but not big enough.....any recommendations? Have not had much success with the photography Internet dealers getting back with me on models that are deep enough to handle a 500 f/4 with hood...need to have in place by end of next week as we have a long wade through Louisiana cypress marsh to get to the rookery and will be dragging a pirogue behind us carrying our equipment

Hey Steve, Pelican makes several large "transport" cases which would be absolutely worthless to try to carry by yourself but would be great pulled behind you in a sled. Here are a few that come to mind-and these aren't the biggest that they have either. http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail_storm.php?Case=iM3075 or http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1730. Just be sure you have your wallet out, because they won't be cheap (but should be well worth it).

As far as pulling your gear through the swamp, have you ever thought about a decoy sled (just a thought, much lighter than a pirogue)? I've got several of similar to these here http://www.cabelas.com/decoy-accessories-shappell-jet-sled.shtml?type=product&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleBaseUSA&WT.z_mc_id1=909766&rid=40&mr:trackingCode=2BA49052-F5D2-DF11-82EF-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA, and they work great. The ones I have are made by a company called Beavertail (but I can't find them in a store online) and I can lay down completely in the large model and have even thought of using it as a base for a layout blind in muddy fields.

Steve Uffman
04-21-2011, 11:47 AM
thanks for the response. I have a 30 yr old pelican case from the film days-so I know how good they are. I actually ordered the Pelican 1560 from Hunts yesterday. Has the handle, wheels and is deep and large enough.

your decoy sled is a good idea. I actually am an avid waterfowler and have one...place I am going on Monday has pirogues on site but I will use the sled at another spot...I actually can put the sled on the back of the 4 wheeler which will be nice because a few places I go, that is the only mode of transport to get there

and my GRHRCH Sassy lady can ride too :bg3: