PDA

View Full Version : The coming storm

Colin Driscoll
04-12-2011, 09:57 PM
Taken on Fingal Beach just south of the QLD border, east coast Australia.

7D, EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Lens @ 16mm, 1/1600 f8 -1.33ev 100iso

Dave Mills
04-14-2011, 08:45 AM
Hi Colin,
The image is emanating a mood that I find appealing. The biggest concern I have is the sun location and its brightness. I would have preferred the sun to be a bit farther to the right and not prtrayed as a white hole in the sky. Might have tried a GND filter or HDR in order to possibly bring out more detail in that area. Sometimes the detail cannot be drawn out due to it simply not being there...

Robert Amoruso
04-14-2011, 07:57 PM
Colin,

I looked in this morning but was on my way out and could not respond.

Dave summed up my feels as well. You can very extreme dynamic range here and HDR would probably be the best way to handle it. Another option is exposure stacking with one exposure for the scene biased towards the shadows and mid-tones and the other for the sun and its surrounding area. IN those instances you still cannot get the sun correctly exposure.

In many instances it is best not to include the sun.

Gerald_Gilligan
04-16-2011, 12:52 AM
Hello Colin,

My first glance at your image, there is a central glare that pulls the eye toward it. You might try to tone this down...

After further review... Your composition works for me as the horizon and the distant rock work on the thirds and the wave draws me to the right. The rays of the sun are present and could benefit from more emphasis to bring out their light and energy. The clouds are awesome and would have benefited from HDR or filtration as noted by Dave. The sun does not have an obstruction to filter through as the clouds are to far to the right. An f/22 might have given a star-burst effect, but I still see potential in this image ! and would encourage you to continue to seek out dramatic clouds and make more images with these same influences...

Jerry

Rachel Hollander
04-16-2011, 06:41 AM
Colin - Nice clouds and I like the breaking surf as well as the smooth look of the beach. Looks like the light situation was tricky with both bright sun and lots of shadows. Some good suggestions above.

TFS,
Rachel

Roman Kurywczak
04-16-2011, 12:16 PM
Hey Colin,
Most of my feelings summed up well above. Given that lens I would definitely opt for f/22 to get the sunburst. You can still get sunflares......but it does add an interesting element in many cases. It is very difficult to get the sun in the frame as the conditions need to be just right. You really only want a sliver to 1/2 the sun visible for the best effect.