PDA

View Full Version : The Easter Owl

Terry Olmsted
03-24-2008, 11:44 AM
Taken the day before Easter on the North Fork Skagit Flats, Washington

Canon XTi 400mm 1/2000s f5.6 ISO 400

Fabs Forns
03-24-2008, 11:55 AM
Great pose, wish the background were not two tones. There is significant noise in the background, easy to fix with a good noise reduction program, masking the OWl. I would go back in the sharpening of the foreground weeds.

Arthur Morris
03-24-2008, 12:24 PM
Sharp, noisy, and way too many weeds...

later and love, artie

Terry Olmsted
03-24-2008, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the comments, Fabs and Artie. I will work on the noise part - but the environmental setting is as you see it. In my view, those are not weeds, Artie, they are the hunting habitat for the short-eared owls. No cover for the critters, no owls :).

Todd Frost
03-24-2008, 04:12 PM
I like it. As a resident of the west side of WA (not much longer- east side here I come), I know what you are up against. A great deal of the time you either make the image where your subject lives or wish you had the clean bg so common elsewhere and don't make an image! Working on the noise should be no problem as mentioned.
Todd

Terry Olmsted
03-24-2008, 06:45 PM
Hey, Todd, thanks very much for your encouragement! The Skagit salt water marshes are a national environmental treasure. Given the photographic environment here (both vegetation and lighting) noise is the least of my problems. Btw, I have spent a fair amount of time east of the mountains, congratulations on your move - there will be some wonderful new birding opportunities.