PDA

View Full Version : Tacoma Narrows

dankearl
04-12-2011, 07:50 PM
Landscape and Engineering and Architecture.
A Bridge with a storied history (a complete collapse in the fifties) gets a new life!
New (and old) Bridge across the Tacoma Narrows in the Puget Sound.
Olympic mountains in the distance.

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af332/dkearl/DSC_0017_2_2-2.jpg

1/1000
f5.6
80mm
iso400
Handheld

Roman Kurywczak
04-12-2011, 08:12 PM
Hey Dan,
Debating the comp 4 a few reasons....first I wanted the entire FG curve in......but do realize that it may introduce too muc stuff.....so perhaps a touch off the bottom. I then realize dthat the balance isn't quite there.....too heavy on the RH side.....so I hope you took a few verts of the towers. All that being said.....I think this works pretty well....although I would pulll back a bit on the cyan and see if I could get a bit more depth in the sky......although with the band of light you had.....I'm pretty sure you did about as well as you could! Sometimes.....the elements just don't cooperate as we would like them too! Still a nice image overall!

Ian Cassell
04-13-2011, 08:28 PM
Dan, I saw your title and wondered if this was at the same place of the bridge collapse. I saw films of that in school years ago (complete with someone running across it).

For those unfamiliar with it, here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-zczJXSxnw

I wonder if this wouldn't work better in vertical, but then you'd lose the mountains.

Dave Mills
04-14-2011, 08:39 AM
Hi Dan, Good overview by Roman and agree with his points. I would attempt to pull back on the cyan since it is also noticeable to me.
If this were mine(and you don't mind a bit of cloning) I would take out the back of the sign on the left and a few of the cars that are clipping the bottom. The sign is not the easiest of cloning jobs...

Robert Amoruso
04-14-2011, 08:07 PM
Good comments from all above. I think a vertical would accentuate the strength of the towers though I do like the wider view too. The FG, as mentioned is a bit distracting with the cut cars and signs.

As I see bikes on the left crossing the bridge, I would suggest getting closer with a linger lens and concentrating on the towers of the bridge. Look for patterns, juxtaposition of the towers, details.

dankearl
04-14-2011, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the comments.
I was on a bike ride in the bike lane when I took this.
I did crop a fair amount of "clutter", cars, signs, etc. from the original.
Tough to get a freeway photo of a bridge without that.
I do agree about the cyan though, it was a gray northwest day and I tried to give it a bit more color.
I think the bridge itself is a great piece of engineering/architecture and I liked the setting.
It is busy though, a major highway in the Puget Sound.