PDA

View Full Version : Incoming Surf

Morkel Erasmus
04-12-2011, 02:35 PM
On our trip to the South African Wild Coast last year I experimented with some seascapes, something I don't often get to do.

I liked the look of this in B&W as the colour wasn't really vibrant and the sun was just peeking over the clouds on the LHS as it rose. It also accentuated the water motion for me.

Any thoughts?

Techs:
Canon 7D with 10-22mm USM @ 14mm
f16 @ 2s @ ISO-100
Kenko Pro CPL
Benro Tripod & Ballhead

Rachel Hollander
04-12-2011, 06:38 PM
Morkel - I think this works well as a b&w. I keep looking at the line of water in the bg, is that a rock shelf with water coming over it or a wave? I think this would also work well with some cropped from the bottom to put more emphasis on the rocks in the center than the ones in the fg.

TFS,
Rachel

dankearl
04-12-2011, 07:55 PM
The b&w is nice, I would like to see the color version.
The rocks look great and the surf in the distance if really good, a tad slower SS might have made the foreground water a bit smoother. It is kind of halfway between focus and OOF.
A bit more blur there would help, IMO.

Morkel Erasmus
04-13-2011, 11:05 AM
thanks Rachel & Dankearl

it was tricky getting the SS just right without the right filters...I was mostly concentrating on getting the wave (yes Rachel, that is a wave :w3) to look like it's in motion.

here is a colour version - after boosting saturation significantly I liked the colour version more than I did before doing the B&W

Rachel Hollander
04-13-2011, 12:18 PM
Morkel - I prefer the color version, where it is obviously a wave :w3. The different colors of the pools show very nicely.

TFS the color version,
Rachel

Dave Mills
04-14-2011, 08:33 AM
Hi Morkel, I too prefer the color version due to my ability to better discern some of the elements within the image. However the B&W is interesting.
This was a type of composition that could definately be played with. One way would have been a move a bit more to the rt in order to get more of the tip of the foreground rocks. Another would have eliminated the foreground rocks and used the middle ground rocks as your foreground moving a bit to the left eliminating the rocks on the rt. Interesting image!

Jay Gould
04-14-2011, 09:07 AM
Another vote for the colored version! I took it into LR and played with a crop eliminating the foreground rocks and some of the LH side; didn't like it as too small - might work with the original.

Robert Amoruso
04-14-2011, 08:10 PM
Morkel,

The B&W would need some better tonal separation and local contrast adjustments to spruce it up. I like the color version.

What I find bothersome is the look of the water on the left FG. It looks out of focus to me. I know it is not and is just the 2 sec. exposure causing that but I still don't like the look of the water in this area. I think the image would be better served with a slower or faster shutter speed.

Gerald_Gilligan
04-15-2011, 10:43 PM
Hello Morkel,

Nice Image...

My Vote is for the color version.

I wish that I could see more of the sky as the soft light and the oncoming wave is what speaks to me.

Jerry

Roman Kurywczak
04-16-2011, 12:13 PM
Hey Morkel,
Yeah late......busy, busy! I too have the same concerns on the LL water......hope you played around with different SS's. I think I would like the B&W if it had some stronger tones.....so worth playing around with!

Andrew McLachlan
04-17-2011, 07:23 PM
Hi Morkel, I like both B&W and color versions of this image. The incoming wave is nice. I am wondering if the foreground water needs to be a little darker, which may give the illusion of it being more in focus. Love the colors of the rocks in the color version!:S3: