PDA

View Full Version : Eagle on Driftwood

Ken Canning
04-12-2011, 06:31 AM
From March Homer trip, 1D4, 500mm, ISO 800, 1/1250, f8. Photoshop: removed some foreground and BG clutter, cropped to about 70% of original. Thanks for looking

Randy Stout
04-12-2011, 09:41 AM
Ken:

I like the pose/wing position, with intense down the barrel stare,distant mountain background.
The right end of the perch is interesting, not so much the left.

I might try a version with a more vertical crop to downplay the mass of the perch, even though it means giving up the right end.

A smaller, more discrete signature line would be less of a distraction in the image.

Thanks for sharing, hope to see more from you.

Cheers

Randy

Munish Kaushik
04-12-2011, 09:47 AM
beautiful shot !!!

Love the wingspread, bokeh and wing spread.

Agree with Randy on the vertical frame and the signature.

Thanks for sharing.

Reagrds,
Munish Kaushik
www.facebook.com/Kaushik.Munish
www.seenwild.com

Troy Lim
04-12-2011, 12:45 PM
Very nice shot. I would also bring out more details on the brown feathers.

John Guastella
04-12-2011, 02:39 PM
Gorgeous shot. Agree with Troy about bringing out feather detail; an S&H adjustment would probably work. The bright spots in the BG are a bit distracting to me, but the bird's pose is so powerful I can live with them. As mentioned, the signature is overpowering -- in addition to being too big, its placement in the middle of the lower part of the frame steals the scene from your subject. I would put the signature in the LLC...

John

Jaap Bakker
04-12-2011, 03:55 PM
What a capture Ken,the real American:S3:
Amazing shot with this look.
Great.

Dave Leroy
04-12-2011, 04:58 PM
Lovely image of an eagle balancing on an old driftwood log. I kind of like log but it does seem tight in the frame where it ends.

I like the nice symmetrical pose with some snowy mountains in bg.

Excellent shooting angle.

Dave

Daniel Cadieux
04-12-2011, 05:33 PM
Awesome pose - almost challenging you!! I like the width of the image...as an alternative I would propose to crop the sand away at bottom instead of going vertical. This would help with the perch as I find thicker ones such as logs and boulders look good when anchored to the frame edge, and plus you'd retain a bit of the weathered character at right tip of it.

Ken Canning
04-12-2011, 08:34 PM
Thank you all for your helpful comments, much appreciated! Here's a repost that encompasses most of the suggestions.

Steve Bein
04-13-2011, 12:46 AM
Very cool. The Homer trip was outstanding. Great pose and perch. I like the second working.

Matt Shetzer
04-15-2011, 12:02 PM
Ken,

I really like this image. The extra details of the log and surrounding really help this is a landscape.

In the first image,I really liked seeing the sand in the bottom. I feel the log looks like you cut it off by accident in the second. I would also recommend trying to bring a bit more of the grain or contrast out of the wood. It looks as if it has a nice texture to it.

Very nice image. Congrats.

Matt