PDA

View Full Version : Memory card failure

Cheryl Slechta
04-11-2011, 08:45 PM
I need help:eek: I have a relatively new SanDisk 8GB Extreme III memory card which has been working great. I put it in my card reader to download about 100 images and when I tried to import into Lightroom it said there were no pictures to download. I put it in my camera and I got a message that said "card cannot be accessed. Reinsert or format card in camera." There is a slight chance that I inserted the card in my card reader before I opened LR and LR did a weekly back-up before it opened. Does anyone have any words of wisdom. I'd really like to save the images but more importantly I'd like to have the card workable without having to send it off as I've got a workshop I'm going to soon and need all the cards I have.
Thanks for your help.

Roger Clark
04-11-2011, 09:37 PM
Cheryl,
Check the sandisk web site. Some cards come with some versions of rescue software, or you can download some software. Depending on the difficulty of recovering the data, you might have to buy recovery software.

I'll be interested to hear what you are able to do. I've had only two partial failures (in 40-some cards) and was able to still read the data so have not needed rescue software.

Roger

Chris Ober
04-12-2011, 07:16 AM
Can you still see the images in the camera? Try a placing your card reader in a different USB port on your computer. If you're using a USB hub or port on the front of the case, try eliminating that too and plug directly into the back of the PC. Can you view the files using explorer?

Chris Ober
04-12-2011, 08:11 AM
Oops, I see you did try the camera already...

Cheryl Slechta
04-12-2011, 07:15 PM
Well, I chatted with SanDisk today and they'll send me a call tag to send the card to the data retrieval
company who will then send the card to SanDisk who will send me a replacement. I'm sure I'll have to pay for the retrieval but I'm not sure how much that is. In the interest of speed, I guess I'll buy another one and then when the process is over, I'll have 2:S3: The irony of the situation is I had just finished reading Artie's blog about reliability of memory cards:t3 Hopefully, that'll be my lifetime allotment of failures.

Nancy Bell
04-14-2011, 10:44 AM
I recently had a failure with a 32 gb card and the manufacturer was able to retrieve most of the files for me at no cost. They also replaced the card. It is possible that in my excitement of trying to continue to capture the action I removed the card from the camera before it had finished writing the files. That would corrupt the card. I received the new card and also after reading Artie's blog I immediately checked it. The camera could not read it :eek:. The manufacturer overnighted yet another card to me, which is fine. All this was an anxiety causing experience but I did gain some knowledge. And I also hope this is my quota of memory card problems!