PDA

View Full Version : Cool Looking Butterfly (need ID)

Brendan Dozier
04-11-2011, 06:10 PM
Well it helped that this was a butterfly exhibit, so the were butterflies freakin everywhere!
In my excitement, I forgot to get the ID for this one. ACR, PP, crop, evened out BG, some color sat, removed some spots on bfly, smart sharpening, Topaz NR & detail.

7D, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
1/20
ISO 800

C & C welcome & appreciated,

- Brendan

Brendan Dozier
04-11-2011, 09:02 PM
I found ID online: Graphium agamemnon, also called Tailed Jay

Desmond Chan
04-12-2011, 01:15 AM
Marvelous details and very good colors ! Love that eye !!!

bhavya joshi
04-12-2011, 06:42 AM
great one.. I like the big black eye .. Nice sharp and details .,
Colorful butterfly..:S3:

Steve Maxson
04-12-2011, 11:52 AM
Hi Brendan. Excellent sharpness and detail within your DOF. I like the even light. The butterfly has interesting colors and patterns and looks to be in fine condition. I might suggest cropping about 1/2 inch from the bottom - this would keep all the sharpest parts of the image and would give the image more of a "cut, not clipped" look - IMO. :S3: Well done.

OvidiuCavasdan
04-12-2011, 03:40 PM
Really cool looking butterfly! Nice colors and great details. I do like the square crop, but good advice given by Steve about cropping the bottom.

Brendan Dozier
04-12-2011, 06:24 PM
Thanks Desmond, Joshi, Steve, & Ovidiu, much appreciated. Here's the repost with crop Steve's crop suggestion:

Mitch Haimov
04-12-2011, 11:12 PM
Love that eye, and the curled up "tongue" (can't think of the correct name right now, and I'm too tired to look it up!). I agree with the previous comments and like the repost, another advantage of which is that it keeps the rear leg on the near side from leaving the frame at the same point as the leaf edge.

Brendan Dozier
04-14-2011, 09:52 AM
Thanks, Mitch

Andrew McLachlan
04-14-2011, 09:13 PM
Hey Brendan, love the sharpness here and the comp. Very nice capture! Definitely a Tailed-Jay, I have photographed these guys at the Niagara Butterfly Conservatory before.

Brendan Dozier
04-14-2011, 11:05 PM
Thanks, Andrew

Ken Childs
04-15-2011, 06:12 AM
Hey Brendan, this looked good to begin with and the crop suggested by Steve is definitely an improvement. Not only does it get rid of the clipped look but it removes some of the OOF elements in the LRC that were distracting. Now to the OOF antenna.....believe it or not, I'd leave it as is. When you get in that close, it's to be expected and I don't think any work done to it would look natural. Very well done! :5

Brendan Dozier
04-15-2011, 06:30 PM
Thanks very much, Ken. I was wondering about that antenna - I cleaned-up a little bit of double-blur around the tip so at least it made a cleaner line.

Roman Kurywczak
04-16-2011, 12:56 PM
Hey Brendan,
Great initial capture.....and even better after following Steve's advice. Love the close shots and you did very well!

Adrian David
04-17-2011, 02:12 AM
Beautiful details and nice colors. The repost works better for me, too. Nice to have those butterfly exhibitions where you can pick your subject and take your shot, without the need to chase it all over the field...and finaly ,when both of you are tired, to take the shot....:S3:....that's how I must do....:S3:(no such exhibitions in Romania...)

Brendan Dozier
04-17-2011, 08:51 PM
Thanks, Adrian, much appreciated.
Yes, it was great to have an exhibit here, and I jumped at the chance since I had not had any decent shots of butterflies. There are plenty of opportunities, but also a lot of people & photographers to navigate around! I was sitting on the ground to get this one, and people were stepping on me! It was good practice, but as you say, it is much more of a challenge out in the field, but also more satisfying when your efforts pay-off and you finally get that shot! :S3: