PDA

View Full Version : Great bustard incourtship display (Otis tarda)

Pedro Trejo
03-24-2008, 10:16 AM
Hi to all, this is my second post to this great forum. My first post was a male great bustar in courtship display and, instead of a lot of encouraging comments, several members of BPN pointed out some details to improve the composition of that photograph. Here is another image from this magnificent bird species with, in my opinion, a better composition and processing. I hope that you will enjoy this one.

I am very happy to be here because the quality of the images is terrific and I would love to comment on your images but my english is not very god, I can hardly speak some words but I can read it (a friend is translating my words).
One of the most interesting things I have found in BPN is that the forums are full of great information and that there is a lot of participation by forum members (this kind of forums are really boring in my country due to the lack of participation) so I am enjoing a lot here.
The great bustard is one of my favourite species. Its populations are declining due to the loss of habitat, land transformation and many other factors. By no mean is a species easy to photograph because it is very shy. We have been working very hard along several years to built a blind for photography while avoiding bird disturbance and now we are having our first photographic results.
Thank you very much for your comments

Pedro Trejo

If you want to see more images of this species and many others I invite to all of you to visit my personal website (www.pedrotrejo.es (http://www.pedrotrejo.es/)) and have fun.

Nikon D2x ˇ Nikon AF-S 500 1:4 D II ˇ Nikon telecnverter AF-S TC-14E II ˇ ISO 100 ˇ 1/1600 Seg F/ 7.1 ˇ -0.7 EV ˇ Hide ˇ Raw ˇ Full frame ˇ HSC mode (6 MP)

Axel Hildebrandt
03-24-2008, 10:29 AM
I'm glad you enjoy this forum. Great light, details and eye contact. This certainly is a beautiful bird, thanks for sharing. It is a bit tight in the frame for my taste. Keep them coming!

Fabs Forns
03-24-2008, 12:10 PM
Hi Pedro, encantada de tenerte aqui, great to have you here!

Good looking bird for sure. Agree it could used extra space on top and bottom. and also a better light angle would have avoided the partial shadows in the body.
The face is to die for, love the way the plumage comes up to it.
Looking forward to more. Mas, por favor :)

Arthur Morris
03-24-2008, 12:29 PM
As above; working in vertical format would have been a good plan.

later and love, artie

Manos Papadomanolakis
03-24-2008, 01:16 PM
I really like the pose,colors and light!

Bill Foxworthy
03-24-2008, 01:26 PM
Beautiful species no matter what you do to it!

Grady Weed
03-24-2008, 03:51 PM
Whatever crop or format you decide upon, this is one delightfully beautiful bird. Keep posting this one, and anything else you have. And welcome.

Linda Robbins
03-24-2008, 06:40 PM
Welcome Pedro! I visited your web site and your images are beautiful and technically perfect. Unfortunately, I can not read Spanish, but enjoyed your images immensely.

I understand that this beautiful species is very difficult to photograph, and you did a good job here. The image would be even better with more room above the bird and perhaps a little more room below. However, shooting from a blind, you would not have been able to move back for different framing. The light coming from the right caused some shadowing on the left side of the bird, and made the white feathers on the right side look somewhat hot. Again though, shooting shy birds from a blind doesn't allow you to move your position to have direct frontal lighting. The pose is outstanding with a perfect head angle..I love the bill seen between the erected feathers...and the image is very sharp. Well done. I would be proud to have this image in my files! You can comment on images here in Spanish. Many of our members speak Spanish, and the rest of us surely know someone who can interpret for us. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your images here on BPN!

Daniel Stenberg
03-25-2008, 03:02 AM
What a great image! Is this in Extremadura? This picture takes me back to April 2003 when me and my friends went birdwatching in Spain (Extremadura and Andalucia) for two weeks. One of the most impressive birds we saw during our trip was the Great Bustard, but I never got any shots like this one :D

// Daniel

Juan Aragonés
03-25-2008, 07:59 AM
Hi "San Pedro" :D This is absolutely stunning, I love the elegant pose of this beauty and the nice light. I can´t wait for having one of this amazing birds in my viewfinder!!!

Juan Russo
03-25-2008, 05:11 PM
Fantastic Pedro.