PDA

View Full Version : The hunter

Steve Maxson
04-11-2011, 11:47 AM
This is a nymph of one of the large Darner dragonflies (I think this is Anax junius). While some dragonfly species are sit-and-wait predators, Darner nymphs will actively stalk prey. This one has just spotted something and has twisted its body for a better look. This was taken in my 2 gallon aquarium setup last summer. 40D, 100 mm f/2.8 macro, 1/250, f/16, ISO 100, MT24 EX macro twin lites (diffused), cable release, tripod. RAW file PP in CS5 - curves, vibrance. I removed some floating bits of debris from the water and darkened the brightest portions of the plants. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

kostas nianiopoulos
04-11-2011, 02:37 PM
the image is pretty good , but please let me ask about the MT24 EX do u diffuse it ? what do u use ?
i plan to buy it some time thats why i ask .

Steve Maxson
04-11-2011, 03:25 PM
please let me ask about the MT24 EX do u diffuse it ? what do u use ?
i plan to buy it some time thats why i ask .

Hi Kostas. Here is a link to a pair of videos showing how to make the MT24 EX diffusers that I use. http://nocroppingzone.blogspot.com/2009/11/mt-24ex-diffuser-how-to.html This certainly isn't the only way to diffuse this flash and other folks may have ideas that work just as well. :S3:

Mitch Haimov
04-11-2011, 03:41 PM
Excellent, Steve! Very effective use of flash and DOF. I do find the bit of plant connecting the "M" of your name to the nymph distracting due to the specular highlights and the way it cuts an otherwise nicely empty space. If you agree, seems like removing it would be a fairly easy cloning job if you select the adjacent portion of the nymph and invert your selection first.

Brendan Dozier
04-11-2011, 06:25 PM
Very cool looking, Steve, and nice intense pose. Real bad boy look this one has! The details and light on this are awesome. Well done!

Adrian David
04-12-2011, 02:04 PM
Never seen one of this...alien-like creature...:S3:
Nice warm colors and good sharpnes on the entire body.

Ken Childs
04-13-2011, 04:13 PM
Hi Steve, the nymph looks great...I love the clarity and light and the pose is awesome! I think the only thing that could have made this look better would be if there wasn't any OOF greenery in the BG.

You'll never guess what I'm looking at right now in my office....a darner nymph in small aquarium. I caught it and a few other water creatures about a week and just haven't been able to find the time to shoot them.

Steve Maxson
04-13-2011, 09:02 PM
You'll never guess what I'm looking at right now in my office....a darner nymph in small aquarium. I caught it and a few other water creatures about a week and just haven't been able to find the time to shoot them.

I'll be eager to see what you come up with. These aquatic inverts are fun!

Andrew McLachlan
04-14-2011, 09:09 PM
Steve, this is quite awesome. Love the sharpness, but i have to ask How did you get the water so clear? When I tried this many years ago with dragonfly larvae and fairy shrimps, I had a ton of debris I the water, but I was collecting and shooting and letting them go quickly, do you keep them and filter the water?

Steve Maxson
04-14-2011, 09:19 PM
Steve, this is quite awesome. Love the sharpness, but i have to ask How did you get the water so clear? When I tried this many years ago with dragonfly larvae and fairy shrimps, I had a ton of debris I the water, but I was collecting and shooting and letting them go quickly, do you keep them and filter the water?

Thanks for the comment Andrew. The inverts I photograph are often in the aquarium several days so the water has a chance to clear - but it is never totally clear and I spend a fair amount of time cloning out the many bits of debris that remain.

Andrew McLachlan
04-14-2011, 09:22 PM
Thanks for info Steve, much appreciated!

Jerry van Dijk
04-15-2011, 02:41 PM
Hi Steve, wonderful pose of the nymph. I really like your water critters images. We don't get a lot of opportunities to study them so closely! I would have liked a little more room to the left (and maybe even a sliver off the right).

Roman Kurywczak
04-16-2011, 12:49 PM
Hey Steve,
Given how tiny these are and degree of difficulty......way cool! Yeah.....the greenery in the BG could go for me too......but awesome pose and lighting!

Jason Kinsey
04-16-2011, 10:51 PM
Nice capture, I'll add another comment on the composition. And sharp too-nicely done!