PDA

View Full Version : trying texture

Cheryl Flory
04-11-2011, 10:19 AM
Wow, I had no idea aging a photo was so difficult! (well, it is for me at least, don't know about the rest of you. :S3:)

I do not like this one much at all, but need help on this. So I decided to post.

Cheryl Flory
04-11-2011, 10:22 AM
My first two questions are Q1: do you need to start with photos that don't have such small detail?
Q2: how do you get the texture to show on the subject without washing the subject out?

I tried following Christopher's tutorial, but obviously, missed the boat on this. I would greatly appreciate any C&C!

Thanks!
Cheryl

denise ippolito
04-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Cheryl, I think you have plenty of detail in your image-I also think that the faded look is what you are after in an old image. This seems to have too much contrast and detail for an old image and I think that is why it is not believable. I do love the overlay with the edges and think that the scene can work really well. I wouldn't expose so much of the original in the center part of the image. And yes to this aging thing being difficult!

Christopher Miller
04-11-2011, 04:28 PM
Cheryl, This looks like a very nice start to me. I really like your choice of textures, and the old barn, or whatever the building is, is a perfect subject. I kind of wish the left side of the building wasn't cut off.

Q1: do you need to start with photos that don't have such small detail?

I would make sure that the details are not super sharp. If they're too sharp, adding a slight blur overlay underneath the texture layers will usually help.

Q2: how do you get the texture to show on the subject without washing the subject out?

What I usually do is use curves layers or Shadow/Highlight to adjust the contrast and tones of the texture layer or the whole image till the subject isn't so washed out. You could also try changing the blend mode or lowering the opacity of the texture.

Adding some texture to the subject here would definitely help make it look more authentic.

Keep working at it! It will get easier with practice. :S3:

Cheryl Flory
04-11-2011, 04:47 PM
Denise, your comments about the sharpness, details, and too clear in the center were the same thoughts I had after looking at it for awhile.

Thanks, Christopher. I will have to try the curves layars and shadow/highlight. I did try the blend mode and opacity. I will practice on a softer image next.

Thank you!

Judy Howle
04-11-2011, 05:20 PM
Wow, I had no idea aging a photo was so difficult! (well, it is for me at least, don't know about the rest of you. :S3:)

I do not like this one much at all, but need help on this. So I decided to post.

Cheryl, sometimes you need to use 2 textures to get the look you want and also you could use multiply mode which would keep the lighter center from showing at all, just the darker texture. I haven't had that much luck with the lighter center textures but like you I'm still learning. I've come a long way from where I started last summer though! I tend to use medium colored textures most. There are some out there that have darker edges.