PDA

View Full Version : Just before sunset...

Brendan Dozier
04-11-2011, 03:08 AM
Taken in March at Carlsbad State Beach, CA. Liked the simplicity and graphic look of this, and how the sun filtered through the clouds ( & air pollution!) before it set. Also liked the texture of waves, and thought the the dark streaks of clouds around the sun, kind of echoed the waves in the FG. Wondering if this may have benefitted in having some shorline in FG, and if sun in UL offsets having horizon near the mid-point which I know is usually taboo.

ACR, PP, crop, curves, red photo filter, sharpening

7D, EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
1/125

C & C welcome & appreciated,

- Brendan

Rachel Hollander
04-11-2011, 06:29 AM
Brendan - simplicity works. Nice color. To me, the emphasis and attention is on the sun and clouds not the waves so I would probably consider cropping some from the bottom to move the horizon off center, maybe crop to just below the second wave where the light in the water changes from dark to light.

TFS,
Rachel

Dave Mills
04-11-2011, 08:37 AM
Hi Brendan, overall I like the image. The partially obscured offset sun is well positioned. the waves are giving the image some foreground interest. I also might look at cropping about half of the dark foreground wave as another idea...Well handled technically!

Robert Amoruso
04-11-2011, 01:25 PM
Brendan,

I like the look of the sun, the vertical crop and the dark, moody look.

FG wise I would crop out the waves. Unless they are very dramatic, I feel they do not lend any significant interest to the image. Regarding your centralized horizon, my crop suggestion handles that.

I do understand your thoughts on the mimicking but do not feel it's juxtaposition is strong enough to warrant having the waves in the image.

My general preference here is for a slow shutter speed and smooth, smooth water it creates. My crop suggestion limits you to the area above the waves which has a nice minimalistic undulation of light and dark patterns that I find pleasing and in harmony with the look of the sun.

Brendan Dozier
04-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Thanks Rachel, Dave, & Robert, appreciate your comments and suggestions very much.
I agree the sun is the focus here, and agree with Robert that the FG waves need to have some more drama to them to make more of an impact.

Morkel Erasmus
04-12-2011, 03:27 PM
this is really nice - exposure of the sun spot-on
I would agree with a crop from the bottom as per Dave and Rachel

dankearl
04-12-2011, 07:58 PM
Very nice comp and exposure, IMO, I would not change much, I like the dark wave at the bottom, makes it look a bit menacing.

Brendan Dozier
04-12-2011, 11:15 PM
Thanks, Morkel & Dan, I am now frozen with indecision because all have valid points!!:bg3:
Think I'll come back to it later, but glad I got a kick-start posting here, need to work on landscape images.

Andrew McLachlan
04-17-2011, 07:19 PM
Hi Brendan, a little late to the party, but I like the comp. The sun looks great! While I don't mind the waves in the foreground I think Robert's crop suggestion is worth exploring. Nicely done!