PDA

View Full Version : Don't touch my dinner!!!

Ofer Levy
04-09-2011, 08:52 PM
1D Mark IV, Canon 600 f4, x1.4, tripod, full Wimberley, 1/1000, f10, iso 800

I am not crazy about crows and ravens and I don't recall ever trying to photograph them. However, couldn't resist this gathering around the beautiful crab.
Taken yesterday at Long Reef Sydney.

Grace Scalzo
04-09-2011, 09:34 PM
Crows and ravens are really cool birds and photograph-worthy as your image illustrates. Good story telling, good interaction. The bottom of the image with the reflected legs and crab does nothing to enhance it in my opinion and I'd crop to just below the feet, even tho that makes it quite tight on the bottom.

Dave Leroy
04-09-2011, 09:38 PM
I like the interaction between the crows. BG colours add a lot.

I might be tempted to crop out the reflection leaving as much room as possible on bottom.

DOF looks just right with both birds sharp. Location of birds and crab is spot on.

Crows can be fun although I think overcast days work best, and you get grey blacks rather than blue blacks.

Well seen and good for you to take the shot.

Dave

Ofer Levy
04-09-2011, 09:42 PM
Crows and ravens are really cool birds and photograph-worthy as your image illustrates. Good story telling, good interaction. The bottom of the image with the reflected legs and crab does nothing to enhance it in my opinion and I'd crop to just below the feet, even tho that makes it quite tight on the bottom.

Thanks for your excellent input Grace! I do see what you mean regarding the bottom but I decided to leave it as I like the reflection of the crab. Here is a version with your suggestion.

Grace Scalzo
04-09-2011, 09:46 PM
Ofer, to my taste, the repost is more satisfying as I concentrate on the crows and the crab. Either way, it's quite a nice image. The other thing that I forgot to mention is that the colors of the background are very complimentary to your image as a whole.

Dave Leroy
04-09-2011, 09:50 PM
Oops Grace beat me to it.

I prefer the repost and agree that both are fine images.

Dave

Ofer Levy
04-09-2011, 10:03 PM
Thanks Dave! :w3

arash_hazeghi
04-10-2011, 02:35 AM
excellent Ofer, crab is a plus and I like the iridescent black! this is what a sharp photo should look like!

Tom Rambaut
04-10-2011, 03:35 AM
Nice getting that glossy black colour exposed so well. Mine tend to be too dark without much detail.

I like both images - much of a muchness.

Tracey Kidston
04-10-2011, 02:17 PM
I enjoy this image as well. Love the interaction, I must say I am crazy about crows and ravens and really enjoy photographing them. They are so intelligent and I think you can see this is their eyes in this image. Prefer the crop of the reflection.

Stu Bowie
04-10-2011, 02:24 PM
Hey Ofer, excellent detail in the blacks from these difficult characters, and good choice of aperture to get both in the DOF. Overall, both are sharp, and your repost works well. Good low perspective too.

Sid Garige
04-10-2011, 09:30 PM
Killer story Ofer. Like the repost.