PDA

View Full Version : Albuquerque Birding Hotspots?

Chuck Nakell
04-09-2011, 09:39 AM
We are planning on being in Albuquerque, NM from April 16-25 and have most of our time free for bird photography. Beyond a planned day trip to Bosque del Apache, can anyone suggest places to go? I'm just beginning my research and receiving some tips would be great right now.

Thanks, Chuck

Chuck Nakell
04-27-2011, 03:16 PM
FYI: No one seemed to have any ideas for me...but i discovered on my own that Albuquerque has a terrific biding place called the Rio Grande Nature Center, with loads of trails. I've seen mature and baby owls, a ton of water fowl, and numerous swallows and hummingbird there so far. Just hiking along the Rio Grande itself has also put me in close proximity to many birds on my must see list, including Road Runners.

Chuck

Kerry Perkins
04-27-2011, 08:54 PM
Hi Chuck, sorry I missed this thread - I would have suggested that you PM Doug Brown. He is one of the best bird photographers around and lives in Albuquerque. Of course there is Bosque del Apache just a little way down the highway to the south, and it is heaven for bird photographers. Hope you had a good trip!

Chuck Nakell
04-28-2011, 04:28 PM
We spent four days at Bosque del Apache prior to coming to Albuquerque. I made 12,000 images there. Seriously.

William Malacarne
04-28-2011, 05:01 PM
Chuck

Could you give us a report on what was at Bosque....Always hear about winter but not much about other times of year.

Thanks
Bill

Chuck Nakell
04-28-2011, 06:29 PM
Well, the crowds come in November when the 14,000 sandhill cranes are there, but in Spring you share the place with only a few others, the grounds are beautiful and the birds are a plenty.

Here is what we saw during our visit: Avocet, stilt, ibis, 3 kinds of hawks, black bird, road runner, quail, white egret, cattle egret, blue heron, 19 varieties of ducks, coot, 20 varieties of small birds, meadowlark, raven, crow, wild turkey, doves, and pheasant. We also saw rabbit, deer, elk, snake, and lizards. Every tour of the drive through brought new surprises.

Doug Brown
05-08-2011, 09:43 PM
Just saw this thread tonight Chuck. Glad you made some great discoveries, and sorry I wasn't able to help you out.

Chuck Nakell
05-09-2011, 09:47 AM
My time in San Antonio, Sante Fe, and Albuquerque all yielded great stuff, so it all worked out just the same. Now I am off to the Malheur area (Frenchglen, OR) in the eastern part of my state, which has some wonderful opportunities as well.