PDA

View Full Version : Short-eared Owl

Dave Leroy
04-08-2011, 06:42 PM
Taken a couple mornings ago. The owl had noticed something to my right and had tensed up as if hunting.

7D, 500mm, f/4, 1/640, ISO640. tripod

Dave

Desmond Chan
04-08-2011, 06:46 PM
A couple of mornings ago? So it was still around !?

I like the tense look, but find the contrast perhaps a tad high. Good details !

Jim Crosswell
04-08-2011, 07:11 PM
I like the pose and eyes. Well done Dave!

allanrube
04-08-2011, 07:12 PM
The contrast doesn't bother me. Fine detail and a good pose. I wish its head was turned a tiny bit more.

Arthur Morris
04-08-2011, 08:04 PM
Wicked pose, stare, and perch. The highlights might look better toned down a bit. Super sharp.

Peter Hawrylyshyn
04-08-2011, 08:46 PM
Lovely photo - can't add much more to what's already been said above
Only suggestion would be to consider removing/mask out the grass/reeds in bkgd on RHS
Nicely done

Tom Redd
04-08-2011, 08:49 PM
Well done, nothing to add here except congrats on this capture.

Dave Leroy
04-08-2011, 09:32 PM
A couple of mornings ago? So it was still around !?

I like the tense look, but find the contrast perhaps a tad high. Good details !

Desmond right over the top of the dyke at 72nd st. I was there Wednesday morning and sunrise Thursday and owl was either down in the grass or sheltered in the logs.
I accidentally spooked it both times while I was walking out to see how the Dunlin were doing.

Thanks everyone for looking and commenting. Dave

Desmond Chan
04-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Desmond right over the top of the dyke at 72nd st. I was there Wednesday morning and sunrise Thursday and owl was either down in the grass or sheltered in the logs.
I accidentally spooked it both times while I was walking out to see how the Dunlin were doing.

Thanks for the update, Dave !

Last time I was there, I saw the owl land on a log about 15 feet away from a photog.

Morkel Erasmus
04-09-2011, 03:25 AM
love the clarity, pose, look, perch and light here
I agree with Artie regarding toning down the overall highlights
contrast is just right for me

Dumay de Boulle
04-09-2011, 07:12 AM
I like the contrast...Great IQ and lovely color. Hiltes can be toned down a touch but this does not detract from a great image at all...I love those eyes and the perch..great image Dave

Stu Bowie
04-09-2011, 08:06 AM
Great concentrated stare, and I too, like the perch. I find the contrast too high on the perch, but if you toned down the BG a tad, I feel you would get the balance right.:w3

Steve Large
04-10-2011, 12:32 AM
Hi Dave,
All comments about sharpness, highlights, and contrast have already been said. Pretty good depth of field for F/4. Must have been fairly close to this guy to get that kind of detail.

Funny how some run away and others don't care how close you get. Also goes to show how long the winter has been holding on. Quite unusual to see them still hanging around at this time. The one over here at Nanaimo estuary was still here up to about a week ago.

Take care and good light,

Steve

Brendan Dozier
04-10-2011, 12:50 AM
Great pose, love the eyes, and both the soft BG & dark texture of perch provide good contrast to subject. Nicely done, Dave!

Arthur Morris
04-10-2011, 03:02 AM
Hi Dave,
All comments about sharpness, highlights, and contrast have already been said. Pretty good depth of field for F/4. Must have been fairly close to this guy to get that kind of detail.
Steve

Steve, Just for the record books, the closer you are at a given aperture the less depth-of-field you have :)