Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Manual mode
1/800"
F16
ISO 200
Canon 430EX W/extended bounce card: On, Fired
HH
LR & CS3

I was shooting moths on my moth sheet early this morning when this Macaria submarmorata decided to lend a hand. Cropped, back edge of wing had some extra sharpening. Added a light vignette. All light provided by the flash.

Now that I'm posting it I've noticed that I should have selectively sharpened the front leg.

kostas nianiopoulos
04-09-2011, 11:20 AM
He looks like a little micro dragon with this pose , i dont mind about the leg , pretty good image , like the vignette well done !!!

Steve Maxson
04-10-2011, 02:30 PM
Hi Ken. So, did it lend a hand by sitting on your hand? :bg3: It's nice when they cooperate! Nice comp, exposure, and background. The front leg doesn't really bother me, but you might try some selective sharpening to see if it helps. Nice job of sharpening the back edge of the lower wing. I'm wondering if you can also do some additional selective sharpening on the back third of the wings - from the brown stripe to the back of the wing. If you can pull that off, this one will shine. :S3:

Andrew McLachlan
04-10-2011, 05:55 PM
Nice one Ken, love the head and antenna details!

Brendan Dozier
04-11-2011, 06:38 PM
Like the simplicity of this comp, great detail, and the antenna is a great feature. Vignette was a nice touch. Well done!

Jerry van Dijk
04-15-2011, 02:45 PM
Hi Ken, a wonderful creature, this moth! I'm not too fond of the perch. You should scrub your hands next time you hold them in front of a macro lens :t3:bg3:!

Roman Kurywczak
04-16-2011, 12:45 PM
Hey Ken,
Way cool to see this tiny guy! Can't add much to the above comments.....loooks like it will sharpen up nicely!

Adrian David
04-17-2011, 02:18 AM
Nice capture on this one. Not an easy job to take a picture with one hand when your subject is sitting on
the other one....:S3:. I know it because I did it...:w3

Ken Childs
04-21-2011, 08:05 AM
Hi Ken, a wonderful creature, this moth! I'm not too fond of the perch. You should scrub your hands next time you hold them in front of a macro lens :t3:bg3:!

I'm not very fond of the perch myself. :S3:
I run a horse ranch so my hands are as clean as my profession allows. I'd have to remove a layer or 2 of skin to get them any cleaner! :bg3: