PDA

View Full Version : Flaming Dahlia

Mitch Haimov
04-08-2011, 12:28 AM
Canon EOS 5D, Canon 180 mm macro lens, extension tubes, tripod. Manual focus, manual exposure (0.8 seconds at f/5.6), ISO 100.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5181/5599336133_75b8a7b3db_b.jpg

I was once again poaching flowers from a coworker's desk. This time I spent my lunch break photographing this dahlia (behind some small blue-purple flowers I have not identified) sitting on my desk. This image was made with the dahlia backlit by indirect sunlight through a north window. There were also fluorescent lights above, making color balance a challenge. My solution was to convert the RAW file twice--once for the natural light and once for the artificial, then blending the two with a layer mask.

Steve Maxson
04-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Hi Mitch. You have a very nice mix of colors and patterns, but the issue for me is that the sharpest portion of the image is the flawed petal and my eye goes directly to it. You might consider trying to clean up that petal with some careful cloning. :S3:

Desmond Chan
04-10-2011, 01:48 PM
I agree with Steve about the not-so-perfect petal. To me, it simply doesn't go with the rest of the photo.

Mitch Haimov
04-10-2011, 05:03 PM
Thanks Steve & Desmond. Input always appreciated! :S3: Here's a repost:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5189/5607234515_2e18162827_b.jpg

Andrew McLachlan
04-10-2011, 05:58 PM
Mitch, I love the repost, nice work with the cloning!

Mitch Haimov
04-11-2011, 03:42 PM
Thanks, Andrew!

Brendan Dozier
04-11-2011, 06:48 PM
Wonderful abstract of light, color, and soft curves of shape and lines. It does look like purple and yellow colored flames. Repost is perfect, nicely done, Mitch :5

Anita Bower
04-14-2011, 03:15 PM
Repost is so much better. A simple fix made this a lovely image. "Flaming" it is--and very nice. I do love that glow. I like the slightly diagonal, curving lines. I wish the ULC and area stretching part way across the top were not blurred by something in front.

Mitch Haimov
04-15-2011, 10:29 PM
Thank you, Brendan and Anita.

I wish the ULC and area stretching part way across the top were not blurred by something in front.
I agree, Anita--this is one of those things I wish I could go back and change (or that I had noticed & fixed the first time around!).

Anita Bower
04-16-2011, 05:37 AM
I agree, Anita--this is one of those things I wish I could go back and change (or that I had noticed & fixed the first time around!).

Mitch: I think this is the type of thing that is challenging in abstract macro photography. I think that as you take more and more of these types of photos, you will learn how to avoid unwanted blurred areas, etc. Practice, practice, practice. I hope you keep posting your abstracts on this forum. I love macro floral abstracts and am learning from your work. :-)

Mitch Haimov
04-16-2011, 06:46 PM
I love macro floral abstracts and am learning from your work.

High praise indeed--thank you! I just paid my first visit to your photo blog and was very impressed with the consistently high quality of your work. (Glad I began working with calla lilies before I saw your work or I would feel like I was imitating you. They make wonderful subjects.) When I returned to BPN and began resumed scanning for recent posts, this one of yours was the second one I found. I appreciate your input and inspiration, as well as that of the many other fine photographers who frequent this forum!