Ian Cassell
04-06-2011, 01:14 PM
Canon 7D
Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Canon 430EX + Diffuser

1/160sec f/18 ISO 500 HH

Mark T Helm
04-06-2011, 07:52 PM
Ian another very nice capture, wonderful colour, sharpness and composition. I see the near wing is not as sharp as the reset of the fly, would that just be the angle of the shot?

bhavya joshi
04-07-2011, 12:48 AM
Good captured.. Ian, nice composition.. Eye looking nice..
and yes i agree with mark says.., if you try different angle,. it would be looks great. :S3:

OvidiuCavasdan
04-07-2011, 01:49 PM
I like the sharpness and details, good composition, excellent bg and very good use of flash. Very nice one.

Brendan Dozier
04-07-2011, 09:07 PM
Very cool looking composition, Ian. Love the detail on the fly and it contrasts nicely with BG and purple flower. Nice work!

Steve Maxson
04-08-2011, 09:57 AM
Hi Ian. This fly gave you a great pose! You have nice lighting, good detail, and a clean background. I like the comp - though my brain keeps wanting to rotate this 90 degrees CCW. :S3: I think a few minor tweaks will take this over the top. I am seeing a halo along the upper edge of the flower on the left side - from a selection? - should be easy to clean up. You might consider carefully cloning what appear to be flash-generated specular highlights on the fly's abdomen. Also, a little NR on the background would smooth it out more. These are minor points and overall this is very well done. :S3:

Ken Childs
04-08-2011, 11:55 AM
Hi Ian, great sharpness and pose! Steve pretty much covered my thoughts on what needs to be done to take this one up a notch or 2. I do think you'd get a better reception if you did rotate this CCW 90 degrees or maybe even a little more than that so the fly's back it aimed at the ULC.

Ian Cassell
04-08-2011, 08:58 PM
Thank you all, folks. I'm at work, so I can't mess with the image now, but will have a go at it this weekend. I wrestled in my mind with rotating the image and decided to leave it as-is in the initial post, but certainly understand the suggestion and will see how it looks with a CCW rotation.

kostas nianiopoulos
04-09-2011, 10:55 AM
very nice capture , great color , super BG , well done !!

Roman Kurywczak
04-16-2011, 12:43 PM
Hey Ian,
A bit late......but I tooo felt like Steve about the rotation.....don't know why! I think the rest was very well hadled and the falloff doesn't bother me. Nicely done!