PDA

View Full Version : Peale's Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus pealei)

Tracey Kidston
04-06-2011, 11:24 AM
This image was taken on the west coast in the winter time all c&c greatly appreciated.

Canon Mark lll; f6.3; 1/2500; ISO400; 500f.4

Dumay de Boulle
04-06-2011, 11:30 AM
Tracy, it looks like the image has lots of potential. But it is posted way too small to give any kind of comments. You can post 1024 pixels longest side on landscape crop and 800 pixels longest side on a vertical crop...Redo and repost...I look forward to seeing it!:S3:

Tracey Kidston
04-06-2011, 11:36 AM
Dumay - this is my first attempt at posting here I see it is way to small trying to figure out how to delete and re-upload

Gary Esman
04-06-2011, 05:43 PM
Dumay - this is my first attempt at posting here I see it is way to small trying to figure out how to delete and re-upload

Beautiful bird and lighting. I hope you do not mind I cropped it vertical, looks pretty good, but did lose some IQ. Nice shot.

Gary.

Tracey Kidston
04-06-2011, 05:51 PM
Gary- thanks for the comments. I do not mind your crop...however I composed the image as it is on purpose. I prefer it with the bird off to the side. Do you prefer the bird more in the center of the frame?

Gary Esman
04-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Gary- thanks for the comments. I do not mind your crop...however I composed the image as it is on purpose. I prefer it with the bird off to the side. Do you prefer the bird more in the center of the frame?

Rules are made to be broken, but generally you want to leave more space where the bird is looking into. No, I do not prefer the bird in the middle, I try to use the rule of thirds a majority of the time. Thanks, Gary.

Randy Stout
04-06-2011, 07:38 PM
Tracey:

Welcome to BPN. Very nice colors here, a bit different background than I usually see with falcons.
{Prefer the comp of the repost, for the reasons stated.

Look forward to more posts.

Cheers

Randy

Daniel Cadieux
04-06-2011, 08:23 PM
Hey Tracey, welcome to BPN!!

I see where you are going with this comp and I rather like it. I just wish the grasses at right edge were a wee bit more inside the frame to make things balance more. Not sure what your post processing ethics are, but I would eliminate the orangish dot in front of the bird. I could also see a bit less FG - maybe half. Lastly, I find the WB a bit on the greenish side of things...try adding some reds to the overall image (but not too much!!) and see if you like that. Falcon and grasses are very sharp as posted and I like the separation between mound and BG.

Looking forward to more!:c3:

arash_hazeghi
04-06-2011, 10:36 PM
Excellent shot Tracey, sweet light and details. I much prefer your original post that includes the nice beach habitat...

Dumay de Boulle
04-07-2011, 03:02 AM
Much better Tracy...The original was about 300 pixels long and very difficult to see nicely

Shaun Boycott-Taylor
04-07-2011, 04:05 AM
Loveley light on this Tracy. Great looking Bird. I like it very much. The second image is more appealing as the Bird has more space to look into.

Shaun:5

Dave Leroy
04-07-2011, 07:56 AM
Lovely photo and my preference is also for the original post.

Lovely light and well captured. The habitat adds a lot for me and like Daniel's suggestion of a bit off the bottom and if available all of the grass on the right.

It feels balanced to me with enough of room on left for bird to look into.

Very nice.

Dave

Tracey Kidston
04-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions. It is great to have the feedback, sometimes you look at so many of your images that you miss ways to improve them. I will remove some of the FG and the grasses on the right. Again thanks very much!