PDA

View Full Version : Calle Lily

Brendan Dozier
04-06-2011, 02:36 AM
I took this back in Feb at the San Diego Botanic gardens. Liked the line & shape and Anita's Calle Lily inspired me to work on it. Rotated image to get diagonal, touched up some spots on lily and BG, crop, ACR, PP, Topaz NR

7D, EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
1/500
ISO 400

C & C welcome & appreciated,

-Brendan

Brendan Dozier
04-06-2011, 09:27 AM
Oops, just saw typo, it's Calla Lily (not Calle), sorry about that! :e3

Mitch Haimov
04-07-2011, 12:13 AM
Very nice, Brendan! Excellent subject and composition. I really like the detail of the parallel curving lines on the outer surfaces of the petal. My only complaint is the OOF tip, but a smaller aperture would have brought up too much detail in the BG. With the dark background in that portion of the image, this may be a good candidate to try some of the techniques suggested for Gary Esman's and Steve Maxson's butterfly posts of 4/3 and 3/30.

Steve Maxson
04-07-2011, 09:52 AM
Hi Brendan. This is very nice! I like the soft light, the diagonal comp, and the curving flow of the white petal. As Mitch suggests, you might be able to tweak a little more sharpness out of the tip. I think that this already strong image would be even better with a little more work on the background. I would suggest blurring the leaf edges in the LLC a little more and toning down the brightest areas in the UR and LR. Overall, this is well done. :S3:

OvidiuCavasdan
04-07-2011, 02:15 PM
Very nice composition, good exposure. With a busy bg, I think you choosed well the aperture and focus point. Good advice given above.

Brendan Dozier
04-07-2011, 08:56 PM
Thanks for your comments & suggestions Mitch, Steve & Ovidiu. I agree about sharpening the tip and will work on the BG some more.

Ken Childs
04-08-2011, 11:41 AM
Hey Brendan, I agree that sharpening the tip of the flower and evening out the BG are all that's needed to make this one a winner. :S3:

Jason Kinsey
04-08-2011, 02:44 PM
Love the composition on this one. +1 on the sharpening. Thanks for sharing.

Brendan Dozier
04-08-2011, 04:43 PM
Thanks Ken & Jason - Here's the repost:

Desmond Chan
04-08-2011, 11:06 PM
It this's largely a white flower, then it looks like there's a slight color cast on it. Otherwise, a wonderful image ! Beautiful composition !

kostas nianiopoulos
04-09-2011, 10:52 AM
a really great image , veery good control of the whites , and the bg is special , well done !

Anita Bower
04-14-2011, 05:22 AM
Fabulous curving lines on this Calla Lily! Wow! Perfect to have it shine alone. Your choice of angle accentuated the beautiful flow of the petal. Nice work with whites. Your repost with bg blurred a bit more is even stronger. Lovely shot!

Brendan Dozier
04-14-2011, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the inspiration, Anita. I've checked out your creations on your website, and they are really wonderful. You are very gifted and I look forward to your postings. Watched your video interview too, and can tell how much joy it brings you. :S3:

Anita Bower
04-15-2011, 04:19 AM
Thanks for the inspiration, Anita. I've checked out your creations on your website, and they are really wonderful. You are very gifted and I look forward to your postings. Watched your video interview too, and can tell how much joy it brings you. :S3:

Thank you. I do love flowers and photography.