PDA

View Full Version : PORCUPINE

gary ellwein
04-06-2011, 02:04 AM
I was happy to catch this fellow in the open and get an unobstructed view. They are usually in ground cover or up a tree with lots of bg clutter. I believe the face and right front paw are the main features of the image. The tail and hind quarters have been cropped. The crop is approx 40%. Nikon D3s, nikkor 200-400mm, focal length 200mm, f5.6, 1/2000, iso 800, no ev, matrix metering. Increased exposure 1 stop in photoshop. Selective usm of porcupine.

Gary

P.S. On my monitor the posted image acquired a blue hue.

John Chardine
04-06-2011, 01:15 PM
Hi Gary- Great to see one of these alive rather than flat on a road. You have nice sharpness here and great color with warm tones on my monitor. I have to say the crop doesn't work for me. So much of the body is included that it just leaves you hanging wondering what the rest looks like. If the crop were tighter to the head and forelimbs you wouldn't be left wondering. Anyway I like it but would prefer a tighter crop myself.

Rachel Hollander
04-06-2011, 01:33 PM
Gary - I agree with John on all counts. I hope you don't mind but I played with the crop a little and found that a tighter vertical crop worked better IMO. I cropped just behind the front legs to give a diagonal of sorts into the URC.

TFS,
Rachel

gary ellwein
04-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Rachel and John, thanks for the critique. I like the additional crop. The image holds up quite well with a
significant crop. I like my D3s.

Gary

Julie Kenward
04-06-2011, 07:46 PM
What a cute critter to run across (although I think I'd keep my distance!) I agree on the crop and I do agree on the bit of blue color cast. I used Color Efex "Remove color cast" filter and this is what it produced...