PDA

View Full Version : black backgrounds

Jared Lloyd
03-23-2008, 10:13 PM
can anyone point me in the direction of learning how to create solid black backgrounds in PS?

Robert O'Toole
03-23-2008, 11:16 PM
1. Press D
2. Press alt+backspace.

or

1. Press D
2. Press G for the paint bucket, click anywhere in the canvas to fill.

Robert

Jared Lloyd
03-24-2008, 08:57 AM
I am trying to isolate a photograph of a gray wolf. That method paints the entire photograph.

Robert O'Toole
03-24-2008, 09:51 AM
Sorry.
To me "how to create solid black background in PS" means you wanted to know how to make a black background in PS.
The term you are looking for is 'extraction'.
"I am trying to isolate a photograph of a gray wolf, can anyone point me in the direction of learning how to extract the subject and place it on a solid black background in PS?"
PS doesnt have an extraction tool, look for Meni>Filter>extract.
Otherwise there are more than a dozen ways to extract a subject. A good resource is Google Video (http://video.google.com/?hl=en&tab=wv)or You tube (http://www.youtube.com).
Search for "image extraction photoshop"

Robert

Alfred Forns
03-24-2008, 10:17 AM
Hi Jared if you post the wolf image might be easier to show which method would look best

If you need to select the wolf might not be all that easy but there are ways One would be using MaskPro 4.0 (commercial program) has a steep learning curve but is worth the effort You can select just about anything with it I believe there is a trial period you can use to check it out!!

Jared Lloyd
03-24-2008, 10:17 AM
sorry about the confusion, thanks for your help.

Charles Glatzer
03-24-2008, 10:23 PM
Are you trying to isolate the wolf from within an image or trying to place the entire wolf image onto a black canvas (background)?

Chas

Jared Lloyd
03-25-2008, 09:09 AM
Charles,I'm trying to isolate the wolf from inside the photograph.... so just the wolf on a black background

Jared Lloyd
03-25-2008, 09:22 AM
here is the image as requested

Charles Glatzer
03-25-2008, 09:47 AM
Duplicate the background (Ctrl J) Select the wolf and click add a layer mask. Select the background layer.
As Robert mentioned above- Press the letter D on your keyboard to select default white and black colors. Hit Alt Backspace to fill the background with foreground color (black) . Note- Ctrl Backspace will fill with background color.

jeffdjohnston
03-26-2008, 12:25 PM
In case any of y'all haven't noticed, Chaz is a frikin' PS genius! :D

Bonnie Block
03-26-2008, 03:20 PM
Charles,
How do you select all those little tiny hairs! I have never been able to do that.

Gary Sargent
03-29-2008, 10:04 AM
How do you "select the wolf" and get ALL the wolf and nothing else ?

Alfred Forns
03-29-2008, 10:12 AM
Gary the only way I know to select all the little hairs is using Mask Pro from Extensis Navigate to the site and check it out It is one fine product Does have a learning curve but worth the effort

Basically you select the color you want to keep and drop then you paint along the border to make the selection It has brushes to fine tune etc At the end you will end up with the wolf only. There are several others which work in similar ways but can not recommend !!!