PDA

View Full Version : My 2 cents-Kiboko guru bag rocks!

Steve Uffman
04-05-2011, 09:47 AM
I am far less experienced than most here so I probably am more a "taker" than a "giver" on this site at present....but I can contribute a two thumbs up for the Kiboki guru gear bag. This bag had been recommended to me by a few pros as I was looking for something that was lightweight & durable that could hold all the gear I needed to carry for my trip to Machu Picchu and Galapagos.

I own a Lowepro mini trekker which is a very good bag but for me the Kiboko is my favorite. I carried an immense amount of equipment including a 500mm f/4L and hiked all over. I never had a problem with it as a carry on...and the way it opens, I felt was superior for working in tough environmental conditions and/or crowded conditions.

John Chardine
04-05-2011, 09:52 AM
I agree Steve, it's excellent kit.

Jay Gould
04-05-2011, 11:01 AM
What did it weigh with all your gear?

Steve Uffman
04-05-2011, 11:11 AM
The bag is four lbs....but I was about 50lbs....2 camera bodies, 2 70-200mm, 2 wide angle, 100-400mm, 500mm, two battery chargers, 580x flash, better beamer, and much more for my wife and I to use....(I am amazed at how much goes into it although I brought more than I needed) ..also had some clips I added which had bug repellant, sun block and my ground zero camera support that Art sells (can't remember the name)

packed it heavily so I could meet the minimum checked bagged luggage on the intra country flights...they would not cut any slack

bag to me was very comfortable even with my tripod and wimberley mounted. Will say that the amount of exercise I got carrying it almost neutralized all the food we were served on the trip

Jay Gould
04-06-2011, 01:25 AM
The bag is four lbs....but I was about 50lbs....2 camera bodies, 2 70-200mm, 2 wide angle, 100-400mm, 500mm, two battery chargers, 580x flash, better beamer, and much more for my wife and I to use....(I am amazed at how much goes into it although I brought more than I needed) ..also had some clips I added which had bug repellant, sun block and my ground zero camera support that Art sells (can't remember the name)

packed it heavily so I could meet the minimum checked bagged luggage on the intra country flights...they would not cut any slack

bag to me was very comfortable even with my tripod and wimberley mounted. Will say that the amount of exercise I got carrying it almost neutralized all the food we were served on the trip

Is there a contradiction? You packed it to 50lbs so that it met the minimum requirement or so that it did not exceed the minimum requirement?

Are you saying that you checked it in? All of your gear went under the plane and not in the cabin with you? :eek:

I am going to New Zealand for three weeks and my carry-on bag is limited to 7kg. That is both camera bodies and some extra stuff. I can carry the computer on in its sleeve as a personal item. Now, my vest, weighs all most 7kg with my 70-200 f/2.8, 25-105, 16-35, both TCs, and some batteries. When I get on the plane I put the vest into the back pack that was 1/2 empty when weighed.

Morkel Erasmus
04-06-2011, 05:09 AM
would love to purchase one someday soon...!!

Richard Stern
04-07-2011, 09:49 AM
Hi,

I'm sure it would indeed rock if one could get one. They have been on back order for several months now from all the usual suppliers, including th manufacturer!

Richard

Mark Farnan
04-10-2011, 06:44 PM
Hi,

I'm sure it would indeed rock if one could get one. They have been on back order for several months now from all the usual suppliers, including th manufacturer!

Richard

I spoke to Andy Biggs about this the other day, (as I also want one !) and he said they are expecting the next lot of bags in around mid to late June. This is in no-way official though !.

Regards

mark

Steve Uffman
04-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Is there a contradiction? You packed it to 50lbs so that it met the minimum requirement or so that it did not exceed the minimum requirement?

Are you saying that you checked it in? All of your gear went under the plane and not in the cabin with you? :eek:

I am going to New Zealand for three weeks and my carry-on bag is limited to 7kg. That is both camera bodies and some extra stuff. I can carry the computer on in its sleeve as a personal item. Now, my vest, weighs all most 7kg with my 70-200 f/2.8, 25-105, 16-35, both TCs, and some batteries. When I get on the plane I put the vest into the back pack that was 1/2 empty when weighed.

I carried all my gear with me..the 50lbs had to do with what I could not put into my checked bag.....so all accessory stuff went in the bag but I checked the tripod and the wimberley....so my kiboki was packed to the max and fit easily overhead

I did have a vest in my wifes carry on that I would have put on had I had an issue...they never had weighed the backpack but I was prepared to do as you do had it been necessary

Richard Stern
04-15-2011, 06:28 PM
As I need a new bag for an upcoming trip, I saw a Think Tank Streetwalker Harddrive in a camera store, tried it out with my D300, 300 f/f +1.4TC attached, several other lenses etc., and it seems to do the job fine, and is very comfortable to walk around with. I met a pro. photographer there who hs both, and he felt that the TT has similar carrying capacity but is better protected.

Richard

Ed Cordes
04-15-2011, 10:16 PM
If you can wait for the back order to clear the Kiboko is well worth it. I have been using it for about a year and a half and love it. It is one of the most comfortable back packs i have used and as mentioned the shoulder straps and waist belt pack away well. I have traveled extensively with it and find it just super. No, I do not own stock in it or sell it.

Chris Klapheke
04-17-2011, 08:43 AM
The latest word from Gura Gear is that the next shipment of bags should hit the US around August 5th.

Lots of folks on the waiting list....