PDA

View Full Version : Rock Pipit

Roy Churchill
04-05-2011, 08:53 AM
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> I was playing around with Auto ISO in Av mode when this guy appeared.
With the 300/2.8 and 1.4tc in Av mode and auto ISO the Camera returns a shutter speed of either 1/640 or 1/800 sec which seems reasonable to me for hand-holding (with I.S. on).

Camera: 7D
Lens: 300/2.8 + 1.4tc
Shutter Speed: 1/800
Aperture: f5.6
ISO: 250
Metering Method: Evaluative - (Ev + 2/3)
Support: Hand held

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p267/RoyC_photo/RP2-1.jpg

Kerry Perkins
04-05-2011, 11:20 PM
Hello Roy, you have a nice capture here with good head angle and a sharp eye. The light was a little bit harsh and it made the eye ring go over, but other than that the exposure is good. You could easily tone down that white ring. Love the background and the environment you included. Some may question the space on the right, but I think it makes the image more interesting and shows the bird in its environment.

If it were mine, I would clone out the three bits sticking out of the bird's back and the bright twig on the right. Good job on this one!

Paul Guris
04-06-2011, 03:02 PM
Real nice. I agree with Kerry on the habitat making for a nice shot, though I probably care less about grass showing behind the bird's back. One thing that really jumped out at me was the graduated coloring of the background which I view as a real plus. The only nit I have is that the head appears to be a little soft and might be improved with a little sharpening.

Julie Kenward
04-06-2011, 07:51 PM
I totally agree with Kerry's comments - those sticks behind his head and the one OOF twig on the right are the only things battling the bird for our attention. You got a very nice, clean image of the bird with good falloff to the surroundings. Nicely seen!

John Chardine
04-06-2011, 08:49 PM
Reallt nice to see the pipit Roy. Agree with the above. Love the BG. The harsh light was a challenge and I wonder if in ACR or after you could tone down the eye ring a little. In Ps just one dab of the burn-in brush at 100% set to highlights would work. I think the head is a little behind the focus point.