PDA

View Full Version : Abstract Snow

Mats Honkamaa
04-05-2011, 02:40 AM
http://www.matshonkamaa.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/IMG_1035_web.jpg

This photo was shot with my Canon 7D and EF400/5.6L USM lens wide open with ISO100 and a fast shutterspeed.

I like this photo and considering making a big print of it to hang on my wall. However, there are many questions and I have a feeling it can be improved (could have been improved at the moment of the shot). Is it to abstract? Is it to much white(grey)? Are the black areas to dominant? Is the depth of focus to short?

I think it looks best against a dark background.

Thanks in advance.

Dave Mills
04-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Hi Mats, I look at this as an abstract with strong elements of texture and light. The darkened central area is an important element since it becomes a point of contrast. I like the 3 bands of snow but IMO the dark areas in the backround are constantly bringing my eye to that point and taking away from the subtlty of the snow bands...

Brendan Dozier
04-11-2011, 03:40 AM
This is a very cool abstract with great looking texture and curves. I agree the darker shadow areas are a bit distracting, but nicely seen Mats!

Robert Amoruso
04-12-2011, 08:15 AM
I like that you create a diagonal line from the left dark area to the right dark area along the bands of snow.

I think you can strengthen the image if yor crop some off the top and bottom.

Mats Honkamaa
04-14-2011, 07:17 AM
Thanks for brilliant comments guys! :)