PDA

View Full Version : Rose

Mitch Haimov
04-04-2011, 10:16 PM
Canon EOS 7D, Canon 180 mm macro lens, tripod, 15 sec at f/22 under fluorescent lights. Post processing consisted of RAW conversion and cloning.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5063/5591181458_73e4f404c7_b.jpg

This subject didn't work with the center at a rule of thirds position because that resulted in loss off the spiral. This also differs from most of my recent macro work in that it chose to not to use a shallow DOF.

Brendan Dozier
04-06-2011, 03:11 AM
Wonderful design comp, like the rich color, texture of petals and the highlighted edges are a very nice touch. Great job getting everything from the outer edges all the way to the inner center in good focus here with the f22, Mitch. I'm interested in the 15 sec exp, what were the lighting conditions with the fluorescents? Well done!

Steve Maxson
04-06-2011, 10:35 AM
Hi Mitch. I'm generally a fan of more rather than less DOF so this presentation works well for my tastes. You captured a nice spiral that draws your eye in. The off-center comp works well, and I like the contrast between the white edges and various shades of pink on the petals. :S3:

Ken Childs
04-06-2011, 03:29 PM
Hey Mitch, I really like this tight spiral and the DOF looks good. Those petal edges are too hot for my tastes....were they really white like that? I think I know why you cropped like you did but even if it means cutting off some of the petals, I'd like to see the center of the flower closer to a ROT position. I think you have a lot of cropping options that would accomplish that. :S3:

Mitch Haimov
04-06-2011, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the kind words and suggestions.

I'm interested in the 15 sec exp, what were the lighting conditions with the fluorescents? The rose was in an arrangement in a vase on the floor of my cubicle at work after we had closed for the day (the graphic structure of this particular rose in an arrangement on a coworker's desk caught my eye and I had to shoot it!). There are fluorescent lights in the ceiling. My camera was on a tripod in between shooting straight down on the top of the rose and it was surrounded on three sides by my U-shaped desk and by me on the fourth, so the light was somewhat dim. Dim light + ISO 100 + f/22 = 15 seconds (actually should have been 25 seconds as the RAW file was a little dark).

Those petal edges are too hot for my tastes....were they really white like that? I made this image about 8 months ago, so I am not sure how white the edges were, but they were substantially brighter than the balance of the petals. They were also quite neutral--the R, G, and B values in the "white" areas of the RAW file are generally within a range of 10 (R & B about the same with G lower) when the white balance is set to Fluorescent (which removes green) both before and after my adjustment to the Exposure slider in ACR. So I may have made the petal edges a little hot in my exposure adjustment, but I think I am fairly close to accurate.

I think I know why you cropped like you did but even if it means cutting off some of the petals, I'd like to see the center of the flower closer to a ROT position. I actually made quite a few images of this rose, all filling the frame from above, including some with the center at the RoT position. The RoT position images are interesting, but don't work as well for me.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Anita Bower
04-14-2011, 05:01 AM
This has a graphic design look to it which works well. Almost looks like you used a simplify filter, but you didn't. It looks a bit other-worldly. Strong composition and color. I think the crop is just right! It is off center enough to work. The bold colors and crop and composition and simplicity work to make a strong image.

Mitch Haimov
04-15-2011, 08:30 PM
Thanks, Anita!