PDA

View Full Version : Tiny Marsh Sunrise

Andrew McLachlan
04-04-2011, 03:49 PM
Yikes, I didn't realize it had been so long since I posted here (March 11th) until Morkel mentioned how quiet it has been. Here is one from a few years ago taken at Tiny Marsh Provincial Wildlife Area near Elmvale, Ontario. Whenever I shoot sunrises I always keep a watchful eye on what's going on behind me.

Applied a little tonal contrast to bring out the clouds a touch more.

Nikon D200
18-70mm lens @ 18mm (27 effective)
f22 @ 1 second
ISO 100
2-stop grad filter

Look forward to comments.

Rachel Hollander
04-04-2011, 04:58 PM
Andrew - beautiful colors and clouds. It may be an optical illusion but it looks like the shore sags in the middle slightly. Also if it is not against your ethics then you might want to clean up the debris in the LLC.

TFS,
Rachel

Robert Amoruso
04-05-2011, 07:09 AM
Andrew,

I like that you have the clouds radiating out from a RoT power point. I agree with Rachel's observation on the horizon curvature and suggest lens correction to remove the distortion.

I would also support her comment on the stuff in the water on the lower right if cloning is not an issue for you.

Wonderful sky and light combined with a well thought out composition (right proportion of sky to land to water).

Rachel Hollander
04-05-2011, 07:16 AM
Whoops, it would help if I knew my left from right. Robert is of course correct that I meant LRC. :e3

Dave Mills
04-05-2011, 09:53 PM
Hi Andrew, agree with above comments and the way you applied the composition.
I played with the image in PS to see if I could pop the sky a bit more which I could. I find the enhanced version appealing but it would come down to a matter of taste...

Hilary Hann
04-06-2011, 03:39 AM
Very appealing composition and colour in this image. Agree with previous comments re curvature and cleaning up the foreground.

Andrew McLachlan
04-06-2011, 03:41 PM
Thanks folks for the comments, very much appreciated.

I'll fix up the distortion and LRC, I didn't even notice the distortion until mentioned, thanks a bunch!

Brendan Dozier
04-11-2011, 03:49 AM
Wonderful vibrant colors, and nice composition, Andrew. Wondering if just a bit more detail and contrast in clouds would make it even stronger.

Harshad Barve
05-12-2011, 09:29 PM
beautiful colors and clouds, vibrant and pleasing image
TFS