PDA

View Full Version : What's in the Lagoon?

Judy Howle
04-01-2011, 03:30 PM
I've been busy this week but finally got around to creating an image for the theme. The original image is of a grebe in a pond at Noxubee National Wildlife Refuge, MS. I used Pixel Bender and Topaz Adjust on the image then added a texture which I duped and flipped to give the "creature in the lagoon" effect and added another texture to add more depth and the "snow" effect. It sure looks more saturated here than in Ps!

Richard Lovison
04-01-2011, 05:56 PM
Judy,

Love the composition and textures along with the water spirit. The saturated colors add to the surreal effect. Nicely done.

Richard

Cheryl Slechta
04-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Judy, I like the textures you've gotten with PB and the colors and effect make it look like an underwater scene. I think I'd like a few of the lily pads to the left and top of the grebe removed so he stands out a little more (not many, just the top one and first one that is almost merging with the bill). And perhaps a slight crop from the bottom for more of a pano look.:S3:

denise ippolito
04-01-2011, 07:37 PM
Judy, This does have a surreal look to it. I was thinking that maybe this would look nice w/ the little grebe more in the corner but I think the framing looks good and really drives home the "little duck in a big pond theme". Nicely done:S3:

Julie Kenward
04-01-2011, 07:40 PM
Denise is right...he looks so small compared to his surroundings...I just saw a Grebe at a local lake tonight so I'm heading back tomorrow to photograph him. He ALSO looked like a small duck in a big pond!

Agree with Cheryl about putting a little room between the pad that is almost merging with his bill...other than that...I love it!

Andrew McLachlan
04-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Judy, nicely done. I love the face in the water too! Very creative work!:S3:

Christopher Miller
04-01-2011, 08:34 PM
Beautiful image, Judy. I love the "small bird, big world" look, and the placement of the bird is perfect. Love the effects, colors, and textures too. Well done!

Steve Adkins
04-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Cool processing and lake monster, Judy! The grebe and wake puts it over the top! :5

Judy Howle
04-01-2011, 11:06 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments! I aimed for the "little bird, big pond" look in this one.

Judy Howle
04-01-2011, 11:09 PM
Judy, I like the textures you've gotten with PB and the colors and effect make it look like an underwater scene. I think I'd like a few of the lily pads to the left and top of the grebe removed so he stands out a little more (not many, just the top one and first one that is almost merging with the bill). And perhaps a slight crop from the bottom for more of a pano look.:S3:
Thanks Cheryl. I'll try to remove the lily pads but I prefer the way it's framed.

Anita Bower
04-02-2011, 10:34 AM
Stunning colors and creativity. Does the Grebe know what's in the lagoon?

Judy Howle
04-02-2011, 01:31 PM
Re-worked image. I lightened it and reduced saturation a little in addition to removing some lily pads and moving one.

Anita Bower
04-02-2011, 01:42 PM
Making changes in the Lilly pads improves the image. The Grebe stands out more. I like the lighter tones, but I think the Lagoon person is less visible.

Gus Hallgren
04-02-2011, 07:28 PM
Judy;

The repost looks cleaner & uncluttered, however, I like the surreal look and more dramatic colors of the original. I like presentations that have me thinking, and your original fits the bill as OOTB infers chaos, originality, no rules and the end result is in the eye of the beholder.

Warm regards

Gus