PDA

View Full Version : Mercury Skyline

Andrew Aveley
04-01-2011, 01:15 AM
Tripod, Remote Shutter , Canon 5D MK 2 , 17-40 mm F4 Lens @ 17mm ISO 100 , 30 sec @F10

After a promising sunset, these clouds moved over and I experimented with long exposures. All feedback appreciated

Mike Fuhr
04-01-2011, 06:20 AM
Wow -- what a stunning photo! I really like what you did with the clouds and water to get that creamy look which contrasts nicely with the sharp rocks. BW was a nice choice here I think.

Rachel Hollander
04-01-2011, 06:39 AM
Andrew - IMHO a very successful experiment! The conversion works well. :cheers:

TFS,
Rachel

Robert Amoruso
04-01-2011, 07:07 AM
Andrew, well done.

I like how you carefully placed the rocks in the image and how my flow from one to the other. The slow shutter speed combined to make both the moving water and the moving clouds blur into diagonals radiating from the center of the image making a great leading line that is also a diagonal.

Andrew McLachlan
04-01-2011, 07:38 AM
Andrew, very nicely done! Wouldn't change a thing! :5 But I would love to see the color version as well someday.

Dave Mills
04-01-2011, 09:09 AM
Hi Andrew, Very well thought out with the results really paying off. You made a very simple composition into an image that has alot of impact. The slow SS really gave the image it's magical qualities. It looks like you spent time figuring the best view through the rocks and created the least amount of merges. Finally the B&W conversion was a good choice based on the subject matter. Well done!!

Morkel Erasmus
04-02-2011, 05:24 PM
excellent B&W landscape here Andrew...nice drama, good tonal range and great textures in the rocks contrasted with the smooth clouds and water

small nit - and this might be from the way the water flowed so excuse me if it is - seems like the remnants of a Shadow/Highlights adjustment all around the rocks? Almost like halos? :2

Hilary Hann
04-03-2011, 03:45 AM
Andrew, very nicely done and great conversion and subject matter. Just love the water and clouds.

Andrew Aveley
04-03-2011, 01:14 PM
thanks for all the great feed back ! Hi Morkel, processed in silver efx only. On high res file one slight halo on lhs rock where it breaks horizon but nothing elsewhere. The effect of the water when surging leaves smooth edges on fg rocks. Andrew, my ps skills need to improve to process the colour version :w3

dankearl
04-04-2011, 11:30 PM
Excellent use of B&W.
Water texture and cloud texture is superb.
Well done.

Brendan Dozier
04-11-2011, 04:03 AM
This is really a superb image, Andrew! I agree, this works great as a B&W, and just right amount of soft blurring on water & clouds, with the long exposure. Well done! :cheers:

Andrew Aveley
04-18-2011, 10:20 AM
thanks very much for the comments !! :eek: