PDA

View Full Version : Calla Lily

Nick Palmieri
03-31-2011, 07:34 PM
I am very impressed with these Calla Lilies and have shot them like crazy for the past week. I spent a few days this weekend with fellow BPNers Susan Candelario and Al Brown, but that wasn't enough for me... Tripod mounted Canon EOS 40D, with 180mm and canon twin-lights (my new toy). ISO 200, f/16, 2s. twin-lights were set to -2 1/3.

Julie Kenward
03-31-2011, 07:41 PM
This is a beauty, Nick! I wouldn't mind seeing just a little more room at the top as the curl of the petal is almost at the frame's edge. Really beautiful exposure here and great detail. I also like the tilt of the flower in the frame.

If you want to go a little more dramatic, try a filter/render/light effect with an omni spotlight placed right at the lightest area of the cup of the flower and then mask the darker edges back in to taste...something like this...

Susan Candelario
03-31-2011, 08:09 PM
Nick,
I really like the soft even lighting, the comp & the oof b/g. The b/g color really compliments a beautiful flower & capture. :5
I also enjoyed myself immensely shooting with you and playing with your medical instruments. :bg3:

bhavya joshi
04-01-2011, 04:35 AM
Good one.. Nick.. I can perfectly see the beauty of this flower.. BG colour great, suits with flower..
and nice angle... Overall perfect shot..:S3:

Anita Bower
04-01-2011, 02:38 PM
What a gorgeous Cala Lily, beautifully captured. I love the position of the flower which accents the gorgeous curves and lines. I like the tight crop and the colors. Beautiful work.

Anita Bower
04-01-2011, 02:39 PM
T
If you want to go a little more dramatic, try a filter/render/light effect with an omni spotlight placed right at the lightest area of the cup of the flower and then mask the darker edges back in to taste...something like this...
Thanks for this suggestion. I forget about this filter and you have reminded me to use it. :-)

Steve Maxson
04-01-2011, 03:00 PM
Hi Nick. A very attractive image! - nice colors, an interesting shape, nice diagonal comp, and a good background. I like the even lighting and the fact that it doesn't look flashed at all. I would agree with adding a bit more room at the top. :S3: Well done.

Brendan Dozier
04-01-2011, 05:07 PM
Very nice, Nick! Has a great shape to it, nice exposure, and I like how it's all in focus from top to bottom. Well done!

Julie Kenward
04-02-2011, 05:44 PM
Anita, that filter is also great for adding very natural looking vignettes! Just mask the center back to normal and you've got a great looking border that fades great into the BG.

Anita Bower
04-02-2011, 06:28 PM
Anita, that filter is also great for adding very natural looking vignettes! Just mask the center back to normal and you've got a great looking border that fades great into the BG.

Thanks for the tip!

Ken Childs
04-03-2011, 03:30 PM
Hey Nick, the OP looks good and Jules' tweak to the lighting definitely adds a bit more pop. I agree that a little more space at the top would be the way to go.

Adrian David
04-10-2011, 01:44 AM
Very nice colors and composition, on this. I like it a lot!