PDA

View Full Version : Book review - "A Guide To Creative Filters And Effects" by Denise Ippolito

Kerry Perkins
03-31-2011, 12:03 AM
Book review - "A Guide To Creative Filters And Effects" by Denise Ippolito

Have you ever been curious about the "Out Of The Box" section of BPN and clicked your way through some of the amazing images that are posted there? Come on, I know you have! Better yet, have you gotten the filter bug and tried some of those ideas yourself? Even better, are you one of those - like me, who have been bitten severely by the bug and just love making artistic renderings from your photos? Well, whichever category you fall into you can learn exactly how these wonderful effects and renditions are accomplished from our own very accomplished artist, Denise Ippolito. This amazing lady is the driving force behind Out Of The Box, where I have the honor of being a co-moderator. She has somehow found time in her busy schedule of photography, art, writing, blogging, and leading workshops to put together the most comprehensive and accessible guide to making artistic masterpieces from your photographs.

If you have ever searched the Internet for information about your favorite program, whether it is a Photoshop filter or a text editor, you have probably been frustrated by the lack of really useful information that you find. Even documentation that comes with most programs contains very little practical application help. It is mostly along the lines of "this is the Transmogrify slider - drag it to the right for more Transmogrification and left for less". Wouldn't it be nice if someone actually showed you some images and explained in detail how the effects were applied to get the final look? Well, it is nice and Denise has done it!

While most of the plugins and filters are used in Adobe Photoshop and Elements, some are stand-alone applications. In either case, Denise guides you step-by-step through both the fundamentals and finer points of many effects and enhancements. Inside you will find excellent workflows and tips for filters by Topaz, Flaming Pear and Redfield Plugins as well as Photomatix Pro, Dynamic Auto Painter, Fotosketcher, Mehdi and more! Not only that, but each tutorial is accompanied by wonderful images that clearly illustrate and explain what the plugin or filter is doing with your image. In fact, I believe that the images alone are worth far more than the price of the book.

You will also find lots of helpful tips on using Photoshop and its built-in filters and effects, and this is practical advice that you will find yourself using in all of your workflows. She also shows you how to make brushes from your images and image elements so you may use them in logos and artistic applications. You will not find a better collection of useful information in one place anywhere. I am amazed that Denise was able to pack so much information in just one affordable ebook.

I can't say enough about how wonderful this book is, both as an educational resource and a collection of art. If you have anything from a mild curiosity to an insatiable appetite for image manipulation, you will love this book for all it has to offer. Let Denise take the mystery out of those settings for you and show you how to take your creativity to a brand new level.

I am certainly not going to forget to tell you that Arthur Morris was the editor for this book! You can purchase Denise's guide here - http://deniseippolito.com .

Happy editing!