PDA

View Full Version : Calla lily

Mitch Haimov
03-28-2011, 07:17 PM
Last summer and fall I experimented making close-up images of various flowers, generally with magnifications greater than 1-to-1 and, in most cases, shall DOF. In most cases, the flower completely fills the frame and extends beyond it on all sides. This calla lily was one of my first attempts. Here are the technical details:

Canon EOS 5D with Canon 180 mm macro lens, Kenko extension tubes, and tripod support;
0.4 seconds at f/3.5
ISO 100
Manual focus, shutter spead, and aperture
RAW capture converted with flourescent white balance
Potted plant in an office building under flourescent lighting

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5176/5569196705_239b69d9ac_b.jpg

Although not planned when making the exposures, I found that I had two similar compositions that I prefer stitched as a vertical panorama. Combining the two only extended the image a small amount, but allowed me to blend the sharp portions of both to generate an image that is sharp everywhere I want it to be while retaining the shallow DOF I was after (I had other exposures with smaller apertures, but they brought too much of the image into focus). The only other Photoshop work other than the RAW conversion was a some cloning to help the two images blend together and to fill in a narrow vertical rectangle in the upper right because the upper image was a little to the left of the lower and I did not want to crop from the right. The colors are faithful to the calla lily.

This is the first image I am posting on BPN and I am curious to receive feedback (negative and positive). Non-photographers with whom I have shared it have generally really liked it or really not. Thanks!

Brendan Dozier
03-28-2011, 11:39 PM
Like the soft, abstract image you created, Mitch. It has a pleasing simplicity to it. Nice balance of subtle colors, and a balance between the two shapes created by the line of the in-focus portion. Way to see new possibilities by combining two images. I tend to like exteme close-ups, especially if they can create a pleasing design. Great as is, but I might also experiment with making the transition between the focused and blurred areas just a bit more gradual. Well done!

bhavya joshi
03-29-2011, 03:38 AM
I like BG with with simply soft shade of cool colors. nice one.. great close up.and composition :S3:

Julie Kenward
03-29-2011, 04:58 PM
Super soft and very nicely done! I would think about toning down the white area along the edge of the right frame - maybe add a very light yellow over the top to keep the eye from being pulled out at that point. Otherwise, super job on this. Soft in most places with a good strong edge - just what you need to pull these images off!

Ken Childs
03-30-2011, 07:06 AM
Hey Mitch, it's great to see you posting images. If this is an example of what you've got to offer, I'm looking forward to your future posts! :S3:

Jules nailed my critique exactly so there's no reason to repeat it. Well done!

Anita Bower
03-30-2011, 12:46 PM
Beautiful colors!! Nice sharp edge with softness all around. The very light areas along the right frame and a bit on the left distract me a bit. I wonder if you can fill them in with color. Looking forward to more of these super close-ups.

Steve Maxson
03-30-2011, 01:31 PM
Hi Mitch. This is a very nice abstract and a good first post. The sharp edge of the petal curving diagonally through the frame really makes this one work. You already have some good suggestions above for tweaks that could make the image even stronger. :S3: Keep them coming.

Mitch Haimov
03-30-2011, 10:16 PM
Thanks for all the kind words and suggestions. I'll try to find time this weekend come up with an updated version to repost.