PDA

View Full Version : Mandarin Duck, San Jose, CA

Hank Christensen
03-27-2011, 10:29 PM
I photographed this Mandarin drake today in San Jose, California. It is a very strange location for a bird of this type. He was swimming around a small lake in a city park. After speaking to some of the locals, I learned he has been seen on and off in this location for the last three years. Apparently there is a small feral population of Mandarins (about 100) up north in Sonoma - likely the result of breeding escapees. Just a guess - but this guy might be a sometimes-migrant from that group (and he apparently likes to come back to this particular lake!)

Stats:
Canon 7D
EF 800mm f/5.6L
1/320sec @ f/8
ISO 640
+1/3 EV
fill flash was set at -3EV, but I preferred this frame when the flash didn't fire (so, no flash)

Aravind Krishnaswamy
03-27-2011, 11:47 PM
Nice capture. I had heard there was a Mandarin Duck at the Berryessa community center and so went there this evening to check it out (sans camera though). Will definitely be returning there in the coming days. That location looked challenging in terms of getting a low angle because of the fence, but your background looks pretty smooth.

Allen Hirsch
03-28-2011, 01:36 AM
Very nice color & details, and great low angle.

Where in San Jose was this? I have yet to get an image of either a Mandarin or a Harlequin, and might make a trip if it's an easy location to find.

Munish Kaushik
03-28-2011, 02:08 AM
Loved the low angle. Its reflection in the ripples. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
Munish Kaushik
www.facebook.com/Kaushik.Munish

RAM MALLYA
03-28-2011, 03:53 AM
Awesome closeup and sharpness on the bird

Hank Christensen
03-28-2011, 08:21 AM
Aravind,

Thanks. Yes, fences can be challenging. That is until you climb over them! Its not something I normally recommend (I usually tend to be too much of a stickler for the rules, but since it was only 4 feet high, and I just needed to be right on the other side so I could get low, I went for it (I guess I "broke the rules" by about three feet, disturbing nothing as I did so). There are some cracks under the fence that will fit a 77mm lens diameter, but alas, anything 500 and up will be too big to fit there.

Hank Christensen
03-28-2011, 08:24 AM
Allen,

This guy was found in a small lake behind the Berryessa Community Center in San Jose. He has popped up there occasionally over the last three years. I give my guesses as to where he's from here: http://blog.hankchristensen.com/2011/03/mandarin-duck/

RakeshDhareshwar
03-28-2011, 10:02 AM
The duck looks cute . Nice colours , and awesome details !!

Chris Kotze
03-28-2011, 01:31 PM
Excellent low angle and super detail and colours

Dumay de Boulle
03-29-2011, 11:39 AM
Lovely detail and low angle...I would like to see it a touch lighter and also the crop, I would take about 1/2 inch off the bottom and add more on top as the reflection is distorted anyway...TFS Hank