PDA

View Full Version : Bird's Head In Orchid

Ed Cordes
03-27-2011, 09:02 PM
I was making macros of our orchids today and noticed that the structure inside the stamen area looks like a bird's head. It appears as if the bird is guarding the "sweet spot".

1DMK4 with 100mm F2.8 Macro. Evaluative metering with flash bounced from an umbrella, ISO 800 and f20. Tripod, 2 second timer and live view for mirror lock up. Full frame.

Brendan Dozier
03-28-2011, 11:49 PM
Really nice looking image and composition, Ed. It does look like some kind of angelic bird watching over the flower's inner sanctum. Way to see and frame the graphic design within the Orchid's inner structure. Nice exposure, detail, and colors.

Steve Maxson
03-29-2011, 09:50 AM
Hi Ed. It really does look like a bird's head - and the two petals on either side are its wings. The "beak" is very sharp and stands out nicely. The only thing that seems out of place for what you are illustrating is the dark green of the background. I'm wondering if there is any camera angle that would eliminate the background but still show the bird in this flower? :S3:

Julie Kenward
03-29-2011, 04:52 PM
Nicely done, Ed! I don't mind the area at the bottom but wouldn't mind seeing the stem removed so it looked more uniform down there. I have photographed these before and noticed the same thing - glad to know it wasn't just my warped mind!

Lovely colors...is the antique white/cream color accurate? Seems like it is but it also feels a tiny bit flat. Maybe a very slight contrast boost?

Ed Cordes
03-29-2011, 05:27 PM
Nicely done, Ed! I don't mind the area at the bottom but wouldn't mind seeing the stem removed so it looked more uniform down there. I have photographed these before and noticed the same thing - glad to know it wasn't just my warped mind!

Lovely colors...is the antique white/cream color accurate? Seems like it is but it also feels a tiny bit flat. Maybe a very slight contrast boost?

Thanks for all the comments. Julie, first the colors are accurate. The rather flat cream color with a hint of pink./dusty rose. Yes, warped minds think alike. I now have visions of the Orchid Raptor attacking my camera and stealing my lunch!!:w3

Ken Childs
03-30-2011, 07:03 AM
Hey Ed, it does look like a bird's head although my view is slightly different than Brendan's....I was thinking more of an evil red-eyed satanic raptor! :bg3:

I'm with Steve on the dark area at the bottom and with Jules on the contrast boost. I like the overall comp as is but also think that a square crop with just the center bright colors and the bird's head might look interesting.

Anita Bower
03-30-2011, 12:38 PM
I see what you mean about the bird's head. Never noticed it before. Beautiful orchid, beautiful colors, even light. I agree with Jules about the stem and a bit of a color boost. Thanks for sharing.