Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Av mode
.4"
F22
ISO 200
Exposure comp + 1
Tripod
LR & CS3

It was cold and overcast today so the Common Blue Violet Flowers that are popping up everywhere didn't open up. I decided to shoot one that was closed.

BG is a print of some blurred grass with a texture added. My printer ran out of yellow ink when I printed it and this is what I ended up with. :S3:

Shot indoors with east facing window light. Cropped, contrast, a little cleanup on the flower. Sharpened with high pass and smart sharpening with a little extra sharpening on the petals.

Jim Bridges
03-27-2011, 06:33 PM
Beautiful soft colors and composition!

Ed Cordes
03-28-2011, 11:54 AM
Nice comp with great colors. Cool BG!

Brendan Dozier
03-28-2011, 11:54 PM
I agree, very nice composition, Ken. Like the colors and simplicity. Way to make creative use of what you have. The blue BG works well, had you not told me it was shot indoors, I would of thought you shot it against the blue sky.

Steve Maxson
03-29-2011, 09:42 AM
Hi Ken. A good way to make use of a faulty print :S3: - it works well with this flower. I like the slight amount of texture in the background. Nice simple comp and good sharpness. Well done.

Julie Kenward
03-29-2011, 04:49 PM
Works for me! I'm still waiting on these guys to make their spring appearance but soon my lawn will be covered in them. So short to the ground they are always a delightful challenge!

I like everything about this, Ken. The blue goes so well with the color of the flower and the stem and bloom are both nicely in focus.

Anita Bower
03-30-2011, 11:54 AM
Wonderful "grass" bg. :-)

I like the tilt of the closed flower--up and hopeful.

Nice!