View Full Version : Leaves

OvidiuCavasdan
03-27-2011, 01:29 PM
Tulip leaves
40D, EF 100mm Macro
F3.5
1/80 sec
ISO 250
Manual mode, late afternoon light, tripod, almost full frame.

Mitch Haimov
03-27-2011, 11:34 PM
I like the composition--angled lines and curves; no complete leaves, just a small section of your subject. I also like the resulting use of a single color (in various shades) and the shallow DOF. Overall, I like this image. There are details I find distracting, however:

The broad "glow" to the right of the upper ~2/3 of the in-focus edge. Is that the oof edge of another leaf well back from the one in focus? I suspect it might be because it stops where the vertical oof edge passes behind the in-focus one as if the distracting very oof leaf passes behind the vertical one. If that is the case, a slightly different camera angle (move to the left) or perhaps using something to hold the oof edge out of sight during exposure would have helped.
The light colored, in-focus edge seems to lack detail although it does not appear blown out. I don't know if careful use of a curve or perhaps a little selective sharpening could coax more detail out if it, but might be worth exploring.
The bottom 10% or so of the in-focus edge is a little soft and is cut off just before meeting the edge that curves up and to the right. Ideally, I would like to have it be sharp and have the image extend a little below the meeting point. Alternatively, you may want to crop the soft portion and avoid having the edges almost, but not quite, meet.

Again, I like the image and hope you find my suggestions helpful. Thanks.

Steve Maxson
03-29-2011, 09:38 AM
Hi Ovidiu. I like the diagonal comp, the multiple shades of green, and the bright leading edge of the in-focus leaf makes a good focal point. Mitch has given you several items to consider. You might also try some NR in the LLC to see if you can smooth out the OOF area a little more. :S3:

Julie Kenward
03-29-2011, 04:53 PM
Ovidiu, this is my kind of image. I love the simplicity of just the greens and the simple stripes of the blades. My only suggestion would be to have photographed it with just a bit more tilt so the main stem was coming across at a greater diagonal. Lovely image overall.

Ken Childs
03-30-2011, 06:54 AM
Hi Ovidiu, I really like the lines and graceful curves you captured here! Some good points have been made by the previous posters....that "broad glow" pointed out by Mitch is distracting me but I think it would be relatively easy to smooth that out so it would blend better with the BG.

Anita Bower
03-30-2011, 11:39 AM
Very nice! I like the lines--straight and curves, the way the leaves fill the frame completely, the simple colors. It works as is for me.

OvidiuCavasdan
03-30-2011, 12:52 PM
Thanks all for comments and suggestions. Unfotunately I noticed the "glow" along the bright edge only when I saw the image on computer.

Anita Bower
03-30-2011, 12:57 PM
Thanks all for comments and suggestions. Unfotunately I noticed the "glow" along the bright edge only when I saw the image on computer.

What is that "glow'? Is it the result of shallow dof? I get it on some of my shallow dof images. It doesn't bother me.

OvidiuCavasdan
03-30-2011, 01:42 PM
Anita I dont know what it is...