PDA

View Full Version : State Bird of Arizona

Bryan Holliday
03-27-2011, 12:58 AM
http://www.bryanholliday.com/bryanholliday_cactuswren

We had a rare overcast afternoon here in the desert last weekend, so I went out and photographed this Cactus Wren on a Saguaro. I composed with room in front of the bird in an effort to convey the space that the bird lives in, and was singing into, from atop the cactus. I know the head angle is turned away from me a little, but it gives me the sense that I am viewing the bird in his world and looking into the same space that he is.

All comments appreciated (especially those dealing with color since I am colorblind). Thanks!

Specs are:
Canon 1D Mark III
Canon EF 600mm f/4 IS + 1.4x Extender
f8, 1/125s, ISO 400

Randy Stout
03-27-2011, 06:15 AM
Bryan:

The colors are just a bit cool, as I would expect in an overcast situation.
the back lighting has made some of the cactus spines pretty bright (at top left of cactus), and I might try a version with the luminosity toned down just a bit. It is very nice on the right side.

I am OK with the head angle for the reasons you stated. I do wonder if the story of the bird in the environment/surveying his world, wouldn't be stronger if in this case you could see a bit more detail in the BG? I know you were at f/8, and perhaps there is no way to show much more detail, because of the distance to the BG, but from a pure story telling standpoint, I do think it would be more effective with more detail back there.

I know, we always love the smooth backgrounds on this site, me included, but since you are trying to tell about his world, not making a portrait, more detail would be a plus, IMHO.

PS: The size of your signature is a bit distracting.

Cheers

Randy

Robert Amoruso
03-27-2011, 09:18 AM
Bryan,

I would have to agree with Randy that without BG detail, conveying the message you state in the description is not happening. However, I think you created a wonderful portrait of this bird and would suggest, to strengthen the image, a vertical crop with the bird in a Rule of Thirds power point position either on the left or right positions. This can allow more or less prominence to the cactus' presence in the image.

annmpacheco
03-27-2011, 10:20 AM
I just learned ten things from you all. Thank you and I have 10 other images in my head now..., Well, one at a time!!!

Arsdel Fluesmeier
03-27-2011, 12:49 PM
Very nice capture in it's true environhment. I too think it may be a little on the cool side.

Bryan Holliday
03-27-2011, 01:00 PM
http://www.bryanholliday.com/bryanholliday_cactuswren_edit2

Thanks for your very helpful input and compliments. I guess I have a better portrait than full story! The background was far enough away that it was softened that much. I really like the pattern of color. I have adjusted the color a bit so it is hopefully a bit warmer (i'm red-green colorblind, so the subtle changes are difficult, of course). I ran a linear burn on the needles - how do they look now? The original horizontal version has these changes, but I'm posting the vertical crop to see what you guys really like better.