PDA

View Full Version : Frost

Kaushik Balakumar
03-23-2008, 03:31 PM
Hi,

Made this image about 200 metres away from my residence at a semi-frozen pond.
A layer/crest of ice on top of the water which was gradually melting formed lovely patterns. The dry/wilted 'post-autumn' leaves which lie beneath this crest, summed up a beautiful combination of subtle colours under the diffracted rays of sunlight.

http://www.pbase.com/bkaushik/image/94583390.jpg

Have been seeing Mike Moats' interesting macros & wanted to experiment on similar lines. This ofcourse is no match to his scores of images...

Nikon D70s + Nikkor 105mm VR micro.
f13, 1/60, ISO200, @105mm + tripod for support.
Worked on curves, a wee bit of saturation/sharpness + some burning.

Was wondering if I should saturate it a bit more...?

Crtiques welcome. Suggestions to improve the image would be much appreciated.

Robert O'Toole
03-23-2008, 06:37 PM
I like the stained glass effect and the soft colors but the ice object at the top ruins the continuity.

Overall I think if that part of the image was cropped it out it would work better as an closeup abstract.

Robert

Mike Moats
03-23-2008, 07:58 PM
Hey Kaushik, Very cool abstract, like the shapes, color, shading, and would agree the image could do well with just the bottom portion alone. Well done.

Daniel Cadieux
03-24-2008, 10:57 AM
Hey Mike, I think you meant to start a new thread?

As for Kaushik's image, I immediately get a weird feeling looking at it as I see the profile of somebody lying sideways under the ice. Don't mean to take away from it, its just one of those odd things that happen sometimes with shapes/colours. Here is how I see it:

Mike Moats
03-27-2008, 03:23 PM
Hey Kaushik, Sorry I posted my image in your thread.