PDA

View Full Version : Crocus

Anita Bower
03-25-2011, 04:24 AM
I was experimenting with handholding my camera to get different angles. Using a tripod is a more deliberate approach. Handholding is a freer approach--rather new to me. I was also using autofocus--which I seldom use with macros. Shallow dof. Taken in my garden, part shade, late afternoon.

Nikon D300, Sigma 105mm macro, f5/6 )"Relative"), 1/250, ISO 400, autofocus.
PP: PS7 basic adjustments, Topaz DeNoise.Topaz Adjust "Mild Details."

I suspect some of you won't like the "halos," but they seem unavoidable at shallow dof.

Randy Stout
03-25-2011, 07:43 AM
Anita:

Very interesting effect, almost like an egg cracking open. Simple color palette very effective.

Cheers

Randy

Grahame Hamblin
03-25-2011, 08:27 PM
Like it but all that black do not know

Anita Bower
03-26-2011, 03:50 AM
Thanks for feedback. Interestingly enough, I was thinking this morning that the dark areas didn't work.

Ken Childs
03-26-2011, 03:46 PM
Hi Anita, Randy's comment about an egg cracking open is perfect....it's exactly what I was thinking. :bg3:

I really like this concept but I see 2 things working against you......the BG doesn't feel right and the point where the yellow intersects the white is causing problems. I think if the BG were completely black or completely lighter green it would work a lot better. If the petals were just slightly more open this would have looked much better. If the flower is still in good shape, I take another stab at this because I really think you can make it work well. :S3:

Anita Bower
03-26-2011, 04:30 PM
I really like this concept but I see 2 things working against you......the BG doesn't feel right and the point where the yellow intersects the white is causing problems. I think if the BG were completely black or completely lighter green it would work a lot better. If the petals were just slightly more open this would have looked much better. If the flower is still in good shape, I take another stab at this because I really think you can make it work well. :S3:

Thanks. I agree about the bg. I'm going to try lightening it, maybe applying some textures. Unfortunately, my Crocuses are past. But, no problem. I was playing around and having fun, and that is the whole point for me. :-)

Steve Maxson
03-27-2011, 10:07 AM
Hi Anita. The comparison to a cracking egg is very apt. I like the yellow peeking out of the center, but I agree with Ken about the spot where the yellow intersects the white. I don't mind the darkness of the background, though I would suggest cropping about half of the open space on the left side of the frame. :)