PDA

View Full Version : How to Discover Your Photograpic Style

Jim Neiger
03-25-2011, 12:27 AM
Sorry, I don't have explicit instructions, just some thoughts to point you in the right direction, I hope.

Many nature photographers have a clear photographic style. You can often tell who made an image just by looking at it. What defines style? I think it's a unique quality of some kind coupled with a passion to produce that unique quality.

The only way I know to develop a unique quality is to do something different that hasn't been done before, or take something to another level that hasn't been reached before. So find your passion and try something different with it and perhaps that will lead to your style. You'll know you have one when other photographers start to imitate it. :S3:

I'm hoping that this will start an interesting discussion, so please share your thoughts about developing photographic style.

Desmond Chan
03-27-2011, 09:58 AM
What defines style? I think it's a unique quality of some kind coupled with a passion to produce that unique quality.

Or simply your way of seeing things, your way of doing...err...stuff. :S3:

Dave Mills
03-27-2011, 11:22 AM
I agree with Desmond. Many photographers approach subjects in their own way. After awhile due to repetitiveness in their approach it creates a style that is recognizable.