PDA

View Full Version : Pelican flying to build nest

Hazel Grant
03-24-2011, 03:38 PM
It was nest building time. Several flew with sticks to build.

Nikon D40x, 1/1000, f8,400iso, 300mm lens

Some crop and color enhancement and spot sharpening.

Julie Kenward
03-24-2011, 07:00 PM
Nice one, Hazel! Again, this one feels a bit dark in the mid and dark tones. Are you calibrating your monitor? It might be time to do that if you aren't. I'd also lighten up the blue water a bit as well so we can see even more of the detail. Nice wing spread and the stick in the mouth is a big plus!

Hazel Grant
03-24-2011, 08:31 PM
Nice one, Hazel! Again, this one feels a bit dark in the mid and dark tones. Are you calibrating your monitor? It might be time to do that if you aren't. I'd also lighten up the blue water a bit as well so we can see even more of the detail. Nice wing spread and the stick in the mouth is a big plus!

thanks for commenting. I think my monitor may be ok because the strip at the bottom of this site looks good. It was late afternoon, so that may account for the darker areas.

John Chardine
03-25-2011, 06:10 AM
Nice action image Hazel! Anything like nest material or food in the bills adds a lot of interest. I like the wing angle but do you have any with the wings curved downward? This can be quite effective too. On my monitor, the image looks like it might need a bit of a boost in saturation. Your light looks harsh but the highlights look well exposed. You do have some deep shadows under the belly and wings. Some fill light in the RAW processing stage would brighten these areas but you may reveal some noise- there's no free lunch!

annmpacheco
03-27-2011, 10:50 AM
I like the action here and the fullness of the frame. Would like to see the image less dark so there would be more viewable detail all around... TFS