PDA

View Full Version : Baboon black and white study

peter delaney
03-24-2011, 11:47 AM
going thru a black and white phase at the moment... so apologies

This alpha male was on his way to his roost with the rest of the troop when he stopped to bask in the last rays of the sun...

Nikon d3 600mm lens 1/800 f8 iso 1000

Sabyasachi Patra
03-24-2011, 11:58 AM
Nice image Peter!

The catchlight in the eye looks good. The depth of field is adequate. Slightly more space at the bottom to complete the "V" by the two rocks would have been nice.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Dumay de Boulle
03-24-2011, 03:22 PM
Nice idea as the coversion works well...Nice one Peter

Morkel Erasmus
03-24-2011, 04:39 PM
another nice conversion Peter

maybe it needs a touch more "black" - slight increase in the black channel? :bg3:

I agree including the "V" at the bottom would have been nice...

Harshad Barve
03-25-2011, 01:46 AM
Peter
Not trying to be hard but some how this image not working for me
TFS

Hilary Hann
03-25-2011, 02:02 AM
Peter, I never realised that these baboons had such interesting facial markings, the b&w conversion has brought out something which I've never noticed in a colour image before. This is a rather regal pose, like an old man watching insignificant goings on all around him but above being interested.

Ken Watkins
03-25-2011, 02:41 AM
Peter,

I am afraid to say this does not really work for me. Whilst the eyes stand out well I can see little detail in the other parts of the baboon. But you know me and B& W:bg3:

Steve Kaluski
03-25-2011, 03:16 AM
Hi Peter, no need to apologies.

I can see where Sabyasachi & Morkel are coming from and it does make sense, but personally I like it, as presented, but nice to have different thoughts. :w3 I like the strong composition here, I assume you used RoT's? Would agree with Morkel, that perhaps using the black eyedropper in Curves for the rock 'area', might give it that fraction more 'punch', but would mask the baboon.

I like your thinking here Peter. :S3:

TFS
Steve

Jay Gould
03-25-2011, 04:50 AM
While it does not work for me as presented, I am so enjoying your B&W period that I want it to work. The right side of the face is too dark for me. As I play with it further I find it interesting that some want to lengthen it; I want to shorten it. I hope you don't mind the RP just relating to the crop.

I have tried to post this several times without the extra space on the right - no joy! :2

Rachel Hollander
03-25-2011, 05:33 AM
Peter- I am enjoying your b&w phase. I also was surprised at the facial markings. I might consider going to landscape and cropping from below to eliminate the second rock but it gives the image a totally different feel that might not be what you envisioned.

TFS,
Rachel

Robert Amoruso
03-25-2011, 05:54 PM
Peter,

B&W AOK.

I find the rocks and bush distracting and not adding to the image. My preference would have been the Baboon prominent in the image with only a small amount of rock present. Given that the sky is white anyways, more exposure could have been given to increase detail in him/her allowing for a better B&W conversion.

peter delaney
03-27-2011, 01:53 AM
Hi guys and gals... please never be worried for offending me if you do not like an image of mine... broad shoulders lol ...I really appreciate good honest critique. Wildlife in black and white is a really difficult medium to get right. Experimentation is the only way to find out what works and does not. I do like this image and agree with Steve and Roberts and Jays assessment. The composition if left would be better if the rocks were darkened. But Roberts and Jays views I agree with too.. I also wanted the baboon to be more prominent because of the lovely detail in the subject but I was worried about over cropping..s o went the with inclusion of rocks..
thanks again everyone for input ...

peter